UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Alternative Energy / Fuels

Old 30-12-17, 04:26 PM   #1
marshall41332

Default Off grid batteries

Afternoon all, thought I would ask for opinions about lead acid batteries for an off-grid supply. Now living in Ireland, and noticing we have quite a fragile grid connection, I am looking to work towards an off-grid system, as we have abundant wind, a stream in the garden, and it would be a good excuse to have a Start-o-matic in the shed, for peak loads like lathe, welder, washing machine etc... I am looking at a 2m wind turbine, which will generate around 500/600 watts on windy days, lead acid storage batteries, and 1000w inverter for 240v supply. House lights will be 12v led bulbs. So, the question is this: should I get 4 x 110ah Numax leisure batteries, in parallel, so if one fails we still have the other three, or go for broke and get a single 500ah Rolls 5000 series battery? The Rolls is about twice the price of the Numax batteries, what do people think would be the best option? And does anyone know of a good reference for designing such a system? I am only at the "guesstimating" stage of the project so far... All comments welcome! Matt
marshall41332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 05:01 PM   #2
RobSmith
Forum Supporter 2013

I'd go for 8x110ah Numax batteries if you are considering spending twice as much on the Rolls battery.
I am running 12 x 12v 150ah Trojan batteries in awful condition at the moment. Just this morning I went to a friends to get some wood sawn for our solar panel mountings. I am currently using 8x 220Wp solar panels lashed up at a generally pointing skywards direction. The mounting will set up all 16 x 220w panels at about 45 degrees and south ish.
The current setup and current winter gloom is just providing power for a fridge, freezer and a Lister water pump we run for an hour every couple of days.
Old 30-12-17, 05:06 PM   #3
ListerHA2

Have a rummage through this site, lots of handy info for 'off grid' types.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/reuk-home/

IIRC, Numax leisure batteries only give about 500 cycles, fork truck cells are ideal if you can get them at the right condition/price.

Last edited by ListerHA2; 30-12-17 at 05:11 PM.
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 05:28 PM   #4
marshall41332

Thanks for the replies, the reuk.co.uk site looks interesting from a brief look, will study further in detail later... Rob, how are you running your house lighting? Is that from another source? How much power are you getting from your current solar setup? Just wondered if you have any numbers...

Matt
Old 30-12-17, 05:32 PM   #5
ListerHA2

Another bit of info on deep cycle batteries.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/50percent.html
Old 30-12-17, 05:47 PM   #6
Robotstar5

I think you may find a 1000W inverter a bit small as a hairdryer or iron will overload it. There's a handy chart near the bottom of this page to help you size the inverter required.

Stuart.
Old 30-12-17, 09:26 PM   #7
marshall41332

Thanks for the info, all food for thought... The reasoning behind the choice of a 1000w inverter is that we are not trying to replicate our UK consumer lifestyle, so we have jettisoned a fair few electric appliances, hairdryer, TV, microwave, sandwich toaster, immersion heater, tumble dryer etc, so our power requirement has dropped considerably... As I mentioned in the first post, I am looking at a Som set for peak load, also topping up batteries if necessary. The Rolls battery is rated for 3200 cycles at 50% depth of discharge,

http://www.windandsun.co.uk/products...s#.Wkfi2MvLfqA

Also they have a 10 year guarantee...

How would I go about working out battery size needed? Only reason for going about 500ah is that should cope with being charged around 50 amps, peak output from the wind turbine I am looking at. If a smaller battery would cope with the load, I can always lose excess power into a heater load in the bedroom, will probably set up a charge controller to shed excess charge anyway.

Further ideas all welcome, Matt
Old 30-12-17, 09:52 PM   #8
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Not discouraging - just a counter-view...

There is a company called Eon (one of several actually) who will deliver electricity to your home, cheaply and efficiently, without you having to do anything! The cost of all those items you are discussing will pay their bills for some years to come.

I am convinced (because I'm an optimist) that in the future various power sources and storage media will be orders more efficient than presently, and the power companies will be less influential, but right now I don't believe that throwing all your appliances in the skip is the answer (probably not to a long and harmonious marriage anyway! )

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 10:43 PM   #9
ListerHA2

The Rolls batteries certainly are impressive.
Old 30-12-17, 11:46 PM   #10
basewindow

http://forum.solar-electric.com

Again to point you at another forum.

Very helpful when i set up my off grid system.

Cheers.
basewindow is offline   Reply With Quote