UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies General

Old 25-11-17, 06:06 PM   #21
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

When the Petter is finished, we'll have three decent sized engines to display.

We have booked the Petter in for 2018 plus the Ruston 6AP.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 07:51 PM   #22
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
That would be the bugbear for me, especially if I was on the spectator side, if the exhibits weren't changing much. Its a risk with working on the basis of same exhibitors each year. That being said, there are a number of rallies I go to year in year out, and I keep a record of what I took, so that it is not duplicated the following year.

Paul.
I try to do the same Paul, or at least alternate them. I log each exhibit in the diary alongside the event and then can see what I had taken the previous year when filling the form out. Occasionally I do get asked by the steward to bring a certain one, dairy or shearing usually depending on available space. At our local rallies some of the exhibitors tend to show the same engine at every rally every year and it can get a trifle boring, though I doubt that the public notice. In our club a few of the members only have one engine anyway and have been exhibiting it for as long as I can remember, they enjoy the social side of rallying more than the engines really.

Pete.
Windrush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 07:58 PM   #23
Lister M

I make a note of what I took to rally's during the year and I currently rotate around four engines, this year hopefully I will have a choice of six engines.

Martin P
Old 26-11-17, 10:40 AM   #24
Stickney

It is true to my experience anyhow, the Rusden Steward even commented that he knew I used to be a regular exhibitor but he still did not have room,

After a local rally I used to exhibit at closed I rang Dave Smith, the section steward of Rempstone and offered him a 5HP Blackstone, his comment, you have put me on the spot now, how can I refuse a Blackstone. I then exhibited at Rempstone unit Dave passed away.

Banbury used to clash with 1000 engine 5 years out of 7, when it did not I asked Bert Tuckey the section steward if I could come for a couple of years, his comment, after two years will you go back to 1000 when it clashes, Yes was my answer, I can't let you into Banbury if you are not going to be a regular exhibitor.
Stickney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 11:06 AM   #25
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

You can see both sides of the situation.

One of the things I like about Nuenen is that there is never a problem getting in to show an engine, and I think Mike has a pretty much 'open door' policy at Newby Hall, but you do need space to accommodate the engines and the camping.

At least Rushden is consistent as far as I can see, Bev Watson is approachable and will always reply to enquiries, others are not so obliging.

Peter
Old 26-11-17, 11:39 AM   #26
Appletop

This thread just goes to show how difficult it is to be an engine Steward, if they let everything in without any regard as to what it is then we moan as it's full of D types or air cooled lawnmower engines then if the steward pick and choose what goes in we moan because we can't get in!!

Having ones cake and eating it....

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 11:43 AM   #27
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
This thread just goes to show how difficult it is to be an engine Steward, if they let everything in without any regard as to what it is then we moan as it's full of D types or air cooled lawnmower engines then if the steward pick and choose what goes in we moan because we can't get in!!

Having ones cake and eating it....
Oh dear, I only have a D type and a few Villiers engines, don't look like I will be showing them then?

Stuart.
Old 26-11-17, 11:59 AM   #28
Appletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
Oh dear, I only have a D type and a few Villiers engines, don't look like I will be showing them then?

Stuart.
Not if it's at a "pick and choose" rally no.....

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-17, 12:04 PM   #29
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Comment made to me last year at a show we were at:

"How can I NOT let you in next year with engines like that?"

It wasn't Rushden.

It was said in humour, but I can understand the dilemma.

Peter
Old 26-11-17, 12:37 PM   #30
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post

Stuart.
It depends on how you display them, some stewards are not bothered one way or the other whether the engine is running something and others will prefer it with some type of driven equipment. I have three different D types at present, one is mounted on a Lister shearing set trolley, another powers a Fullwood milking outfit and the third is 'solo' but I usually pair it with a thirties mechanical hacksaw. The first two are doing a job of work just as they would have when new, never had a problem entering them at shows (apart from one, always one!) and both have been awarded trophies purely because (as one judge told me) "They are doing exactly what Lister D's were designed to do". However I have been asked a couple of times not to bring the dairy display as it takes up the room of another engine/exhibitor so I either take something smaller or just don't bother going! I also have some Villiers powered milking and shearing sets, again they are doing the job that they were designed for and get the publics interest simply because they are doing a job of work rather than sitting there on a plank flattening the grass!

You get to know after a while what different shows like, and then make your own mind up where and what you display in future. Local club events can be fun as you can usually take what you want and nobody is going to critisize your choice of engine and you often get a better response from the public as well!

Pete.
Windrush is online now   Reply With Quote