UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies General

Old 17-11-17, 05:52 PM   #1
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Default Rushden Cavalcade 2018

This coming rally will be the 40th season, dates are 5th, 6th and 7th May at the junction of the A6 and Avenue Road. All entrances are in Avenue Road itself.

We have just received our forms for 2018 and will be taking the Petter and one of the Rustons.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 06:05 PM   #2
Lister M

I've given up trying to get in, will visit as a member of the public as usual.

Martin P
Old 17-11-17, 06:12 PM   #3
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
I've given up trying to get in, will visit as a member of the public as usual.

Martin P
I tried twice for an entry a few years ago Martin, sent a form in before Christmas with a pic of my exhibit and a few days later both were returned as there was no room. Seemed a 'closed shop' type of rally to me, one of several I might add?

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 06:17 PM   #4
slatteybarn

Sent our forms off weeks ago. Bev is very good at getting then out early,looking forward to the start of next years rally season,
On a side note next year(2018) will be Allan and Jane Eatons last year with Hollowell rally,Allan has decided to retire from the organisation of the rally,

Regards
Phil
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 06:38 PM   #5
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
I tried twice for an entry a few years ago Martin, sent a form in before Christmas with a pic of my exhibit and a few days later both were returned as there was no room. Seemed a 'closed shop' type of rally to me, one of several I might add?

Pete.
Pete,

I wouldn't mind but I've known and been friendly with the Engine steward for years and drop hints when I see him.

Martin P
Old 18-11-17, 11:27 AM   #6
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

if you look at previous years, you'll see that I also had tried many times to get in, and it was only last year that I caught lucky and got the two Rustons in as they had two confirmed exhibitors that weren't coming.

I didn't apply this year, the forms came automatically.

Bev Watson did say that they ask existing exhibitors first, and only if there are known slots available will they go to the waiting list.

I don't know how many are on the list, or how the list works, perhaps it's worth writing in and asking if you are actually on the list? That's what I did.

Peter
Old 18-11-17, 07:16 PM   #7
Bulldog engines

Having never tried to enter this show, reading all the posts I'm never likely to try to, distance from me to the show is not an object, but they either want exhibitors or they don't and going by the posts on here over the years it has become more than obvious that they don't, a waiting list is a load of ******** in my opinion and as for waiting years to get the nod it seems like it is more an elitest show so that the organisers can get there mates as exhibitors at the expense of others. I stand to be corrected on this, but if I take the time to ask for an entry form and am prepared to travel more than 50 miles I expect to get a form, if not I'd not bother in future years as I'd feel it was being made plainly clear that they don't want fresh exhibits.
Bulldog engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 08:01 PM   #8
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog engines View Post
Having never tried to enter this show, reading all the posts I'm never likely to try to, distance from me to the show is not an object, but they either want exhibitors or they don't and going by the posts on here over the years it has become more than obvious that they don't, a waiting list is a load of ******** in my opinion and as for waiting years to get the nod it seems like it is more an elitest show so that the organisers can get there mates as exhibitors at the expense of others. I stand to be corrected on this, but if I take the time to ask for an entry form and am prepared to travel more than 50 miles I expect to get a form, if not I'd not bother in future years as I'd feel it was being made plainly clear that they don't want fresh exhibits.
Those were my initial feelings as well to be honest, to be full before the end of the previous year seemed obvious to me that the same exhibitors were there each year with probably the same exhibits! However I understand that space is limited there, and I'm way past bothering nowadays anyway as there are plenty of other shows!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 08:21 PM   #9
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The site has been on two farms historically, Lancaster Farm on the B645 and the current farm on the A6/Avenue road junction.

It is two miles from where we live.

The Cavalcade is quite a big event and finding space for everything when most local farms are fairly small does limit how much can be given to each section.

They do tend to bring back previous exhibitors, which is good if you are an existing one but not so good if you are a new one trying to get in, I understand the frustration and have been there myself.

There are also conditions set by the Police and local Council in respect of car parking and disturbance to local residents. Lancaster Farm wasn't a problem, but the current site has housing alongside the site.

What the long term plans are I don't know.

Peter
Old 18-11-17, 08:43 PM   #10
Lister M

Last year Peter you were on the right side of U shape, when i came for a chat the U was virtually empty, space wasnt an issue last year.