UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 23-10-17, 04:52 PM   #21
1956ld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
right, I have a AVO Model 8 Universal AVOMETER MK111, it has two battery's, a 1.5 volt LR20 Duracell and a 15 volt Alkaline battery BLR121 from the AMPLE Battery company. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLR121-BAT...-/260635338455

My meter doesn't read capacitance.

Martin P
A very nice meter, looks like the older type so no pcbs to go wrong. I beleave the model 8s were more precise and had more ranges? If you do plan on using the meter I would first of all open it up and clean out any dust that may of built up, clean the battery contacts, smear a small ammount of silicone grease on the bottom of the case to catch any dust and replace the leads. (the rubber does not hold up well and give very inacurate reading if the cable is damaged. I would recomend buying a cheap set of leads or making your own as genunine avo leads are not cheap). I would also see about give the meter a light calebration ( using the screw on the front pannel) The above is a list of things that i have done to my model 7 to make it the best meter I own.
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 05:48 PM   #22
Lister M

A friend of mine bought a job lot of stuff and the meter was found in its box brand new and never been used, the rubber on the leads are perfect and never saw the light of day until I collected from my friend. I got its first set of battery's when I got it home and I used my company digital to compare it with, the company digital goes away every six months for calibration, and the AVO is spot on for my use.

Martin P
Old 23-10-17, 08:48 PM   #23
1956ld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
A friend of mine bought a job lot of stuff and the meter was found in its box brand new and never been used, the rubber on the leads are perfect and never saw the light of day until I collected from my friend. I got its first set of battery's when I got it home and I used my company digital to compare it with, the company digital goes away every six months for calibration, and the AVO is spot on for my use.

Martin P
An avo is one of the finest meters out there, even if they are old
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote