UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 14-10-17, 11:43 PM   #1
malcolm Tierney
Forum Light User

Default Lister D valve guides

Does anyone know how to replace the valve guides on a lister D? I have found no information on this other than a reference by Steamwally on youtube stating that one needs a press to do this. I have the head off my Lister D and have de coked it. The piston was remarkably clean but I found the exhaust valve sticky with coke and once cleaned the valve stem was slack in the guide. I have bought in a new valve and guide. Could I drift it out from below with a hammer and brass rod?
Any help would be appreciated.
malcolm Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 12:23 AM   #2
Robotstar5

I should imagine a stepped drift would be better as it can't wander off and damage anything else?

Stuart.
Old 15-10-17, 08:45 AM   #3
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

If the old guide is knackered (a technical term!) then just knock it out upwards with a hammer and drift as it is only fit for scrap. Place the new one in the freezer for a day, then if you have no access to a press then get a bolt of similar diameter to the valve and put half a dozen copper or fibre washers on it and the guide should go in easily with just light tapping with a hammer. The washers will protect the guide. That's how we always replaced Gardner valve guides and never had a problem.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 11:33 PM   #4
malcolm Tierney
Forum Light User

Thank you very much so percussion is possible. Being a chippy I'm quite good with a hammer. If I turn the end of a length of brass rod to put a loose fitting pin in the centre then I can drive the guide in without wandering.
malcolm Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote