UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 07-10-17, 09:26 PM   #11
single flywheel

Smile lister b fuel pump problems

Hello Peter are you near Oldmeldrum if so you can come and have a look at my L and J that belongs to my son I am sure the pumps are similar.
mike watt.
single flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 09:26 PM   #12
Terry1943

I had problems with a second hand pump I bought and replaced the balls with two I got from breaking up a bearing race they are 9mm dia from memory, copper ones may not be heavy enough to seat properly.
Terry1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 11:41 PM   #13
Peter2ltr

Thanks for the reply guys
I'm confident the fuel pump plunger is getting full travel and spring is returning the plunger fine. The engines arm seems to fully push the plunger in out as it should.
I also agree if it primes with your hand it should lift fuel it's self but it's not the case. I'm possibly pushing the plunger quicker than the engine does to lift the fuel and keep it coming.
I do think it's the balls not seating properly being the problem therefore making the fuel run back down the pipes in to the tank because it's like priming a dry system everytime the engine has used what's in the carb. I presume the fuel pump should act abit like a non return valve if that makes sense.
Lapping the balls or lightly tapping them in place seems a good place to start
I may also try swapping out the original copper ball with a ball bearing incase its a little out of shape.
Peter2ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 10:32 AM   #14
Appletop

No the pump doesn't act like a non return valve as the delivery pipe outlet is higher than the fuel level in the carb. Or it should be.
If it pumps by hand then it should work, if it's not working on the engine then it has to be something to do with the cam or arm not pushing the plunger enough I'd have thought.

10mm pipe is a little large but I'd have thought it would still work ok.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 11:35 AM   #15
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
No the pump doesn't act like a non return valve as the delivery pipe outlet is higher than the fuel level in the carb. Or it should be.
If it pumps by hand then it should work, if it's not working on the engine then it has to be something to do with the cam or arm not pushing the plunger enough I'd have thought.

10mm pipe is a little large but I'd have thought it would still work ok.
I'm more meaning the fuel in the pump and pipes shouldn't run back in to the tank so easily. The carb stays full of fuel as it should until the engine has used it when running.
I started it up again this morning just to cheer the neighbors up and to have a study of the hole thing working what should the travel be on the arm that operates the plunger mine is about 9mm of travel not a huge amount I thought
Old 08-10-17, 12:49 PM   #16
Appletop

Sounds like the cam follower is worn, id have thought it should be more than that. Not got an A now so can't go and check

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 07:59 PM   #17
Lister M

Whilst I agree Rob the cam would be seriously worn for such a short stroke, sadly my A is so far back in the shed it will be the end of the week before I could get to mine, hospital visits etc over the next few days.

Martin P
Old 08-10-17, 09:05 PM   #18
allan grieve

Default Lister a pump

What spec is your engine there are 2 types of pump I have drive arm and gear for the type with the spring on the outside of the pump Have sent you PM
allan grieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 04:44 PM   #19
Peter2ltr

The stroke of the arm looks bigger than what it is. I was surprised when I actually measured it to find it was only 9mm.
But if you push the pump by hand really short strokes it still lifts fuel in to the carb.