UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 07-10-17, 12:57 PM   #1
Peter2ltr

Default Lister B fuel pump problems

I originally planned to just buy a working fuel pump but After having a look over my pump I worked out there was a small ball missing from the carb outlet side of the pump and this was stopping it from lifting fuel I found a similar sized ball bearings not brass or copper and it lifted fuel so I
Knocked up some copper fuel pipes out of 10mm copper as the engine came with none and got it to fill the carb but Iv noticed when you start the engine the carb doesn't fill and the fuel seems to run back in to the tank but lifts it again when you do it by hand. Is there ment to be a spring that holds the balls in place because I presume with the vibration is making the balls rattle about and the fuel runs back Or maybe my fuel line diameter is to big or my tank to low.
Any help would be appreciated.
Peter2ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 01:11 PM   #2
Lister M

Does the pump plunger have a spring under it to lift the plunger up each stroke.

Martin P
Old 07-10-17, 01:58 PM   #3
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Does the pump plunger have a spring under it to lift the plunger up each stroke.

Martin P
Yeh there is a spring to lift the plunger.
Old 07-10-17, 02:06 PM   #4
Lister M

from memory there should be two balls, one on the in and one on the out, does yours have two.

Martin P
Old 07-10-17, 02:22 PM   #5
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
from memory there should be two balls, one on the in and one on the out, does yours have two.

Martin P
Yes It has now.
One is a original brass/copper ball at the tank lifting side and the carb side is a ball bearing i fitted because it was missing
Old 07-10-17, 02:43 PM   #6
Appletop

How low is the tank? Did you seat the ball when you fitted it?

It is supposed to pump fuel all the time and then the extra drains back via an over flow pipe in the carb, is your overflow pipe set too low/broken?

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 08:21 PM   #7
Peter2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
How low is the tank? Did you seat the ball when you fitted it?

It is supposed to pump fuel all the time and then the extra drains back via an over flow pipe in the carb, is your overflow pipe set too low/broken?
The middle of the tank is in line with the oil filler. What do you mean by seating the ball?
The pump works fine when you prime the bowl with you hand and i understand the pump constantly fills the bowl when it's running and the excess fuel runs back in to the tank. But when it's running or turning it over it doesn't seem to fill the bowl and when you go back to prime it it's like the pump and pipes are all empty again taking a short while for them to fill and start filling the bowl
Old 07-10-17, 08:23 PM   #8
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

I have replaced a lot of Lister pump balls with ball bearings. I have a jar with various sizes that I have saved from old bearings.

A good trick to seat the balls, is to silver solder a ball of the same size on to a piece of 6mm rod and use that to lap the seat with valve grinding paste. Usually i will also give the new one when put in a good tap with a punch which helps to seat it. You can't do that with a brass one as it is too soft. The steel ball will rust if moisture is in the fuel so it is something to watch out for.

Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 08:29 PM   #9
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2ltr View Post
The middle of the tank is in line with the oil filler. What do you mean by seating the ball?
The pump works fine when you prime the bowl with you hand and i understand the pump constantly fills the bowl when it's running and the excess fuel runs back in to the tank. But when it's running or turning it over it doesn't seem to fill the bowl and when you go back to prime it it's like the pump and pipes are all empty again taking a short while for them to fill and start filling the bowl
After what you just said it makes me think that the spring is not long enough to lift the ram high enough to get a decent stroke from the cam driven pump arm.
If it pumps manually then there should be no reason why it wont pump when being driven by the cam.

Martin P
Old 07-10-17, 08:51 PM   #10
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Agreed. Also, the gland packing can get dry and hard and prevent the piston lifting. Secondly, the pump lever is operated by a lever inside the case end cover, running on an eccentric. It's all held together by taper pins and the levers wear. Any of those parts can reduce the throw and stop the pump lifting fuel.

If you hand-prime the engine and fill the carb chamber, where does the fuel go? You sort of suggest that it's quickly gone? It shouldn't be leaking away. Also, are you connected to the correct pipes inside the carb chamber? The fuel should come up the one with a "lid" and overflow down the open ended tube.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote