UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section

Old 28-08-17, 09:02 PM   #21
Robotstar5

I bet there's long queues to get out of an event that size?

Stuart.
Old 28-08-17, 09:04 PM   #22
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Hope you had a good time mate.
Got to be honest I don't think I could do a long stay rally like this one.

Neil.
Old 28-08-17, 10:25 PM   #23
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

I never did get to Dorset but, I wonder did the 9/1 I sold recently? The chap I sold it to intended on exhibiting it in place of his earlier entry, did it make it? It is the only 9/1 I know of with twin flywheels (just to help with identity).
Old 29-08-17, 08:45 AM   #24
Lister M

Don't know about CS as there were several. Seven day break where you can sit and do nothing, lovely. As to queues not a problem this morning, just sail out.

Martin P
Old 29-08-17, 09:00 AM   #25
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
I've met puttputtbangbang and cameltank in the last couple of days and spent the first two days seriously tinkering with my single flywheel Lister A as it wouldn't run properly but after un seizing the governor which kept jamming today its run well with only a tweek of the mixture ever so often its run well.
Nice to see you Martin, glad the Lister is running better, that's often the way, they run fine in the shed and get stage fright at the big event. My IP got fuel starvation at Beaulieu, never happened before, turns out there was fluff in the little chamber under the float valve. cor wasn't it hot though, we spent some time in the cider tent, hope you got the chance to have a look around, we had fun looking for a vintage ammeter, but couldn't find anything suitable. Good rally though.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 10:04 AM   #26
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
I bet there's long queues to get out of an event that size?

Stuart.
Organisation is pretty good, with marshals holding traffic on the main road so people can get out. There are many exits from the 660 acre site, and I think people stagger their departures somewhat, so we never usually have a problem.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 11:02 AM   #27
cameltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
I've met puttputtbangbang and cameltank in the last couple of days and spent the first two days seriously tinkering with my single flywheel Lister A as it wouldn't run properly but after un seizing the governor which kept jamming today its run well with only a tweek of the mixture ever so often its run well.
It was a pleasure to meet you Martin - nice to meet you and exgreeney and see your unusual and setup and chew the cud as it were. I only managed the Thursday and managed to spend 10 hours at the event - great weather - not too dusty and no rain - I hope the rest of the event went as well.

Despite walking the bone yard for over 4 hours I never found the part I was looking for but for some reason my car was loaded with a lot of rusty parts I have yet to find a use for but couldn't pass up...

see you next time if not before!

Best

Hamish
cameltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 01:10 PM   #28
panhandle
Forum Supporter 2013

Default 9/1

I can't remember seeing a 9/1, I would have been attracted to it cos I've got one with genny.
Will post more later, unpacking van and caravan today, had a brilliant time.
Bob.
Paul S have read message.
panhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 10:46 PM   #29
exgreeney

Nice to see old and new faces. Took 2 hours to get north of Salisbury and then a further 3 hours to Bedford including short stop at A34/M4 services. First long run with the Fusion pulling our caravan and pleased with how it handled. Fuel consumption did drop to 62.9 MPG but we did not linger on the way home.

Peter. AKA as The Butler!
exgreeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 11:35 PM   #30
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

We always stay until the day after the show as we just find it so much easier to get out. I also camp in blue 2 despite getting a red 1 pass. Always have a word with the marshal on the corner of r1/b2 and once he knows you are in SE will allow you in there. Much closer to the section. I think Ian is going to try and get us all into blue 2 next year as the camping is less than half full.

I took the little jumbo, but it was a sod. Keeps stopping virtually hourly, has to be a fuel pickup issue as the plug is new and I did an overhaul of the wico mag last year.

I heard that 18 gennies were nicked off the public camping, a blacksmiths anvil of 30 years went and pikies kids were knocking on caravans and breaking in when there was no answer.

Other than that 'we' almost had a dedicated hotline to steamfair fm / john church as we / me mainly kept sending in emails about our tractor drinking games* or having seen a 'chocolate starfish' in the freakshow and the wife + friends planned 70s p*ss up at butlins. What was really funny was on the Monday night I sent in a final email and John started to read it, realised it was from me and said he had to vet it first

We also did our last night scavenging of the traders stall as they leave stuff behind. Came away with some tools, table, propane cylinder, 2 cupboards, some really nice prints, a old decent mirror and scented candles - boxes of them. Good haul this year!!

Terry

* Eldest son thought it would be fun on the Monday night to drink each time we heard 'tractor' on the radio. Some of the adverts had many 'tractor' words in it, so I texted in what we were up to which he read out. Later there was a show report from the tractor section which kept us 'busy', then john came back on air and said tractor about 12 times which had us all in stitches.
Bamford EG2, EV3. Lister StartOMatic, Deep well pump, Amanco #1 water pump, Nelson Brothers Little Jumbo hit n miss and a 4" Foster traction engine.
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote