UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies Picture Gallery

Old 05-08-17, 09:29 PM   #1
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Chequers inn, Laddingford

I had a phone call on Friday evening, inviting me to bring an engine to a small classic car meet at a Kentish pub, why not..

The day started with another split inner tube, but the waves from other Land Rover drivers on the way put a smile back on my face, as did this parking up next to me - a 1971 Series 3, recently brought back from Africa, The owner had many a tale to tell.

The W2 ran well once again, it is turning out to be one of the better engines I have owned!

IMGA0467 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0464 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Amanco Hired Man & Corn mill, milled quite a bit of flour until the rain started! The current owner is only the 3rd owner in 102 years since it was built.

IMGA0461 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Lister D, compressor and gear pump - a well thought out, compact trailer mounted unit.

IMGA0458 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Silent Ruston PT.

IMGA0452 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0450 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

International M and triple ram sprayer pump, both supplied new by Drake & Fletcher.

IMGA0447 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0433 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0434 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

This Lister A earned it's keep in a saw mill, note the enlarged pulley.

IMGA0441 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Perhaps it worked a little too hard, must have been an exciting moment what with the original crankcase mounted fuel tank..

IMGA0440 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0437 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

There were some excellent cars on show, like this vintage Riley.

IMGA0416 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Not ordinarily my kind of thing, a modified version of the Hillman Imp, with a 2.0 litre Toyota Celica engine in the back and space frame - wasn't sure about the welding and plywood turret shims though!

IMGA0406 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0405 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

IMGA0404 by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

Phill.

Last edited by wolseley phill; 05-08-17 at 09:32 PM.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 09:54 PM   #2
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Looks like it was once a Sunbeam Stiletto, now only by body.... BMW bike engines are a popular mod as of late, less intrusive. Shame really the original sports engines with twin Strombergs and oil coolers are getting thin on the ground.
Mine had the basic engine with the single slowex carb...

Cheers, Steve
Old 06-08-17, 08:33 PM   #3
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

I think it was the Singer version, couldn't quite remember. Lots of our old family photo's feature these things, My father and his brother and sisters had a fleet of them back in the 70's including two vans - hence anything Imp related gets photographed..

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 08:55 PM   #4
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Singer Chamois Coupe - quite an uncommon Imp variant.

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 08:59 PM   #5
Lister M

I had a Chamois saloon, chamois sport and two imps, better than a mini any day. As long as you had a bag of cement in the front

Martin P
Old 06-08-17, 09:10 PM   #6
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Even more of a shame if it's the original body, didn't make many Chamois Coupes with twin head lamps.

That was my problem Martin.....no bag of cement. I had a Mini after and hated the sight of it!
Old 06-08-17, 09:23 PM   #7
Lister M

What the chance that body is plastic, the wheel arches are not original the turret tops are not original, front and rear axles are at least six inches wider. The top suspension mounts on the rear are part of the steel frame. I think its a kit car based on an Imp.
Steve I used to carry a large full tool box in mine and she would corner as if on rails and the engine would rev in standard form in excess off 6500 rpm, racing engines would exceed 10000 rpm.

Martin P
Old 06-08-17, 09:40 PM   #8
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
What the chance that body is plastic, the wheel arches are not original the turret tops are not original, front and rear axles are at least six inches wider. The top suspension mounts on the rear are part of the steel frame. I think its a kit car based on an Imp.
Steve I used to carry a large full tool box in mine and she would corner as if on rails and the engine would rev in standard form in excess off 6500 rpm, racing engines would exceed 10000 rpm.

Martin P
Could well be, though I didn't think the kits had the seams on the roof line.

Mine had Spax and Montie Carlo springs, had it the same time my mate had a 1300 Mini he polished the ports and all on but the 875cc imp could still stick with him in the tight stuff, uphill was a bit different...
Old 06-08-17, 10:01 PM   #9
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

I think that it is an abomination. So it may be quick, it is also a complete lash up that looks atrocious on those ridiculous wheels and with those unsightly lumps in the wings. It should be bailed.
I am not against modifying classic cars in order to improve them but the level of bastardry on that little car is just wrong. I have a Rover P6 to which I have fitted a later engine. I have cut no metal out of the shell or wiring loom and if desired could easily be reverted back to standard in a weekend using original parts............................................. .................................................. ............................ And I most definitely not used plywood to hold the damn thing up!

Nice engines Phill. I like the small rallies.

Dan.

Last edited by Dan_pt; 06-08-17 at 10:55 PM.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 10:07 PM   #10
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

It is an odd engine to pick, K series is a popular transplant and the BMW K100/1200 is a popular transplant of late, seen a few Alfa lumps put in as well, bike engine seems a good option on a Imp, they are light enough to be fun! And all less intrusive than the one pictured.