UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 29-07-17, 03:20 PM   #11
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

S D Heron played a big part, it was started well before WW2 for aviation engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Dalziel_Heron

Robert Schlaifer; Samuel Dalziel Heron; Harvard University. Graduate School of Business Administration. Division of Research (1950). Development of Aviation Fuels.

Read the full story, excellent book if you can find a copy (I do have one)

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 08:42 PM   #12
eddie78

I love the way threads develop from my D conked out to the history of leaded petrol
eddie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-17, 11:46 PM   #13
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

I thought lead in petrol for cars etc was a post 2nd world war thing ?
Before that used in race cars and aero engines only.

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 10:46 PM   #14
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie78 View Post
I love the way threads develop from my D conked out to the history of leaded petrol
though, by way of defense, the thread is titled "Fuel".

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 30-07-17 at 10:49 PM.
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-17, 11:13 PM   #15
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
though, by way of defense, the thread is titled "Fuel".

NHH
No defense required it was not a complaint lol
Old 31-07-17, 11:14 PM   #16
malcolm Tierney
Forum Light User

Dear All,
Thank you. I think. Well at least it is not the fuel that I am using. A fellow allotment holder suggested that I strip and clean the carburettor. I dropped it. Only 8" but the mounting flange broke. On closer inspection I found that it had already broken and an ineffective brazed joint made. Damn. I stripped all I that I could off the carburettor, bought another from and eBay trader, pickled the parts, polished the jet and reassembled it. The problem that I had previously was that the engine would run for about ten minutes then cut out. Having fitted the cannibalised carburettor the engine fired first time but was smokey. Adjusting the threaded tube on the air inlet valve did not improve matters. I shut the engine down, connected it to the trommel and it never started again. Damn. I have changed the plug for a Champion 8com. There is a spark.
Maybe the theorem as to dirt in the fuel line is a possibility. I once had a FIAT Uno that was brought to a standstill by a grain of sand in the jet though I notice that the orifice of the jet in a Lister D is much larger than that of an Uno. I have looked at quite a few D's online and fuel filters seem to be very rare. Is this wise? Mine has no filter.
malcolm Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 11:49 PM   #17
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm Tierney View Post
Dear All,
Thank you. I think. Well at least it is not the fuel that I am using. A fellow allotment holder suggested that I strip and clean the carburettor. I dropped it. Only 8" but the mounting flange broke. On closer inspection I found that it had already broken and an ineffective brazed joint made. Damn. I stripped all I that I could off the carburettor, bought another from and eBay trader, pickled the parts, polished the jet and reassembled it. The problem that I had previously was that the engine would run for about ten minutes then cut out. Having fitted the cannibalised carburettor the engine fired first time but was smokey. Adjusting the threaded tube on the air inlet valve did not improve matters. I shut the engine down, connected it to the trommel and it never started again. Damn. I have changed the plug for a Champion 8com. There is a spark.
Maybe the theorem as to dirt in the fuel line is a possibility. I once had a FIAT Uno that was brought to a standstill by a grain of sand in the jet though I notice that the orifice of the jet in a Lister D is much larger than that of an Uno. I have looked at quite a few D's online and fuel filters seem to be very rare. Is this wise? Mine has no filter.
They have a screen type filter on the fuel tap going into the tank which is good for keeping moths and bees out but thats about it, like you say the jet is quite sizeable and probs would pass coal dust. if its running but smoking it could be either to rich (black smoke) or oil burning (blue smoke) that threaded tube is for the air valve just set it with 3/8 inch threads sticking out is a good ball park figure.

Black smoke to rich = will foul plug run crap and then be a pig to start when warm (like driving your car with the choke out) when she fires up wind the needle valve in till the engine hunts then back a bit.

blue smoke piston rings = fouling plug, new rings and hone
Old 01-08-17, 08:44 PM   #18
malcolm Tierney
Forum Light User

The engine when it ran was producing black smoke not blue which it seems was a mercy. So that then mans that the mixture was over rich. What is not so good is that I have not been able to start it since. I have since acquired a third carburettor and fitted it with a new air valve and spring but use the brass seat from another carburettor as that from the third carburettor was rather corroded. I shall try fitting this and see if it helps. It did seem that if the engine stopped after running for a while that there may have been an interruption to the fuel supply much as happened to my Fiat years ago however I do not believe that this was the case with the Lister which makes it all the more mysterious. If there is fuel in the float chamber as there was then that could not be the case, at least not between the tank and carburettor.
Thank you to those who have advised me thus far.
malcolm Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 09:04 PM   #19
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm Tierney View Post
The engine when it ran was producing black smoke not blue which it seems was a mercy. So that then mans that the mixture was over rich. What is not so good is that I have not been able to start it since. I have since acquired a third carburettor and fitted it with a new air valve and spring but use the brass seat from another carburettor as that from the third carburettor was rather corroded. I shall try fitting this and see if it helps. It did seem that if the engine stopped after running for a while that there may have been an interruption to the fuel supply much as happened to my Fiat years ago however I do not believe that this was the case with the Lister which makes it all the more mysterious. If there is fuel in the float chamber as there was then that could not be the case, at least not between the tank and carburettor.
Thank you to those who have advised me thus far.
The carb is such a simple beast on these that as long as it is not physically broken it will run, like you say it was chucking black smoke out it was far to rich so to much fuel , so its either the mixture knob was to rich or the float bowl is flooding, probs not starting now because the plug will be fouled up, I would check the plug and look in the plug hole as well as they do get coked up.

The other thing you check is the fuel height in the float bowl relative to the jet height, if it was black smoking fuel starvation is not the prob so we can rule that side of things

Last edited by eddie78; 01-08-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 10:23 PM   #20
cccst70

Default Pickled parts

Just spotted that you had pickled the parts when you transferred internals over.

I did that on a Honda trike Carb years ago and it opened the bores up on the soft brass jets, one of the Koenigg blanker fittings on a galley hole fell out too.

this made it run very rich and I had to drop needle down and put circlip onto top groove to get it runnable. it never really needed choke to start from cold after that though.

I also transferred internals over on a Lister D carb with broken flange and had to fudge about where fuel feed jet locking screw engaged on the milled pocket to lock it.

maybe its too low and allowing fuel to pour thru'
cccst70 is offline   Reply With Quote