UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Model & Gas Engines

Old 12-07-17, 02:48 PM   #11
pulsechoes

The article in issue 369 from John Thorby had a couple of pictures of the engine, You replied to that in the following March issue (No 372) Nick!! It's the article in issue 415 that says that the Petter Twins were inspired to design and build an internal combustion engine by the writings in the Boy's Own Paper of 1894.
Old 12-07-17, 02:57 PM   #12
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
(snip) You replied to that in the following March issue (No 372) Nick!!
Cripes, I'd better have a look and re-acquaint myself with whatever uninformed garbage I was spouting at the time!

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 03:01 PM   #13
pulsechoes

I should have read Your letter first, it gave the Issue number of the magazine that carried the first of the series of articles. It would have saved a lot of trawling through my "Index"!!
Old 12-07-17, 05:59 PM   #14
Georgineer
Forum Light User

The BOP connection was given in Percival Petter's memoirs, edited and published by David Edgington in 1989 (and still available from Stationary Engine Parts):

"The Boy's Own Paper in 1894 [he was writing from memory in the 1930s] had a series of articles on 'How to make a model Gas Engine'. I showed these to Mr Jacobs and suggested that we should make the model. After looking through the papers, Mr Jacobs said he thought he could make a better engine than that, especially for the purpose for which I wanted it, which was for a 'horseless carriage...'"

Now I must go in search of back issues of Stationary Engine Magazine, and find a way to post pictures now that photobucket has turned funny.

George
Georgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 06:09 PM   #15
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Found them!!! Serialised in Issues 122 to 126 (April to August 1984) under the heading "Small Power Engines".
Thanks Charles, an interesting half-hour diversion re-reading those.

Dan
danthetangye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 07:03 PM   #16
philipagri

Thanks for providing all the SEM references boys. The crankcase, cylinder and flywheel castings pictured of the Boys Own engine were not the same as John Thorby's engine, as Nick pointed out in his reply a couple of issues later.

The Boys Own engine is most clearly pictured in the Part 5 article of SEM August 1984. The gas engine I saw for sale 18 months or so ago had the same crankcase design where the pillar supporting the crank was strengthened and hence wider than the forward part of the crankcase. It had the cylinder which is only water cooled for 3/4 its length and then nicely tapers to the rear. It had a straight spoked flywheel and no outrigger bearing. The valve arrangement was also similar, the hot tube arrangement was missing.

I wish I had at least kept pictures but I apparently didn't so now it feels like the one that got away- unless someone else remembers seeing it.

Philip
philipagri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 08:54 PM   #17
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Do you have a record of the ebay item number Philip?

NHH
Old 15-07-17, 06:54 AM   #18
philipagri

No I've trawled through my multitudinous ebay notifications but must have deleted it. I believe it was in the Gloucester area and sold for around 750 (I was the underbidder). The seller also had another smaller model open crank for sale.
Philip
philipagri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 10:03 AM   #19
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Frustrating!

NHH
Old 15-07-17, 07:54 PM   #20
Georgineer
Forum Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Frustrating!

NHH
You're telling me. As a childhood friend of mine used to say, "Snouch!"

If only I had some photos or an original to look at, I wouldn't need half as much Engineering Imagination, especially round the big end area. Have you ever noticed how few pictures there are of that end of any engines?

It came as a surprise to discover just how much the small engines sell for - just another aspect of my iggerance I suppose. I have at last found the right forum for enlightenment.

George
Georgineer is offline   Reply With Quote