UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 07-07-17, 09:24 AM   #11
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010macjac View Post
Thanks for the offer Paul but due to my health problems last year, (2 heart attacks in 3 days at the age of 26 ) she has got to stay in the shed and even the smaller stuff is only getting 1 outing this year hope to be back on form next year tho (I am almost there). it would be great to see the 2 models together. So you never know!

Thanks John
There were a couple of G1's at Newby Hall in 2014 for the Lister special feature. We took our hopper cooled model and there was also a tank cooled one.

We have owned three G1's and a G2 over the years, but sold all but one of the G1's. They are a lovely engine.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 09:37 AM   #12
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

I wonder why these engines seem to have been among the less commonly seen at rallies over the years - they certainly have a certain something about them, particularly when complete with the steel enclosure?

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 09:45 AM   #13
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
I wonder why these engines seem to have been among the less commonly seen at rallies over the years - they certainly have a certain something about them, particularly when complete with the steel enclosure?

NHH
Several reasons come to mind.

- They aren't all that common, when compared to other Lister models
- Most that survive are about knackered as they were used and abused in their working life.
- They are fairly heavy beasts for their size
- The radiator cooled model and others that are hidden by the tin cowling are not considered the prettiest of things to look at
- Spare parts are not easy to come by.
- They are known to drink petrol for fun when running at their rated speed. We have to run our G1 at 600 rpm (Rated speed is 1200rpm) to keep the fuel consumption down.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 10:00 AM   #14
eddie78

Unfortunately mine has lost its tins at some point during its life. the frame work is still there but no tins. saying that I would rally it without the tins anyways to show the engine.

It still has the orig link fan belt

I am picking her up tomorrow so will sort some pics i doubt I will get timeto have it running for the rally but worst case I will drag it along anyways.
eddie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 01:43 PM   #15
eddie78

Well got the G1 home on Sat evening and after several hours managed to breath life into her. there was a lack of compression due to the valves they took some lapping in. the bore is in fantastic shape I was really surprised.

Could not get her to fire on the handle so resorted to using the Lister D as a pony engine to spin the G1 and she fire almost straight away. now she will go on the handle.

As the pics show she is in rough shape but runs nice and no nasty noises. The missing engine parts are bits I have removed.

I am not sure if she had a full tinware the rad is smaller than ones I have seen before and the frame holding the rad looks factory but yet again different to the fully enclosed G1s the rear frame is some chopped up rubbish.

you will notice the superb frost repairs.

Rad needs alot of work the header has seen a few rocks bouncing off it. and quite a few cracked solder joints so will end splitting it all apart and reassemble and solder

Last edited by eddie78; 10-07-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 02:04 PM   #16
Whitearsm
Forum Light User

Thank you for sharing pictures of your G1 eddie78

looks like a lovely wee engine
Whitearsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 02:12 PM   #17
eddie78

LOL she might be wee but she has some gravity, she wont blow over in a stiff breeze makes the D feel like a toy
Old 10-07-17, 04:40 PM   #18
Paul_Sterling

Nice one Eddie, glad its running, and it looks a lovely project.

Paul.
Old 10-07-17, 04:43 PM   #19
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
Nice one Eddie, glad its running, and it looks a lovely project.

Paul.
First job is a trolley took all my wind n p*ss to get her in the garage

Last edited by eddie78; 11-07-17 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 02:18 PM   #20
eddie78

I really need to be a better at taking pictures I had full intentions today but got carried away in working.

Spent some time on the radiator to day it was/is quite badly beaten up, the header tank was concaved in nearly a inch, so carefully unsoldered and removed the header top brass work and its now 90% the right shape, Every single cooling tube solder joint was cracked/detached from the header tank base plate.

They are now all cleaned and re soldered like wise the header tank top, so now have to start the process again and do the bottom tank. originally the rad was held in a steel bracket that wrapped around the outside of the rad the steel work is pretty far gone so will need to remake that, But with the rad been all brass Iam very tempted to make some brass brackets on the side to hold the rad and have it all polished up.