UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Stuart-Turner

Old 04-05-17, 09:29 PM   #1
ScottUK

Default Stuart R3LY

Evening everyone,

As some of you will remember I picked up a rather cheap (29) but very rough R3LY from Ebay a few months ago. It was seized, had a badly frosted barrel & was missing the flywheel to the Miller flywheel mag on it. Anyway I just thought I'd post a couple of pics of where I am with it now.

I managed to pick up a scrap engine from Ebay which had a good barrel, but this was seized onto the crankcase as two of the stud liners / water jacket closures had corroded through, so this became a bit of a job actually removing it without damaging it, and then making new liners. I also managed to pick up a second scrap engine that had a Wico flywheel mag, which I am going to use on the LY. I've not cleaned it up yet or tested it, but not too worried as the 'electrics' are the same as the JAP 2A and I have a few mag's from those in my 'scrap' pile.

I have to still to have a look at the Best & Lloyd oil pump from it, but fingers crossed that will be ok. Unfortunately during the clean up I've not been able to find any serial numbers on the engine, the original ID plate was missing and I'd hoped to find something stamped into the crankcase or head but there was nothing. That's a shame because as I understand it LY production was low and it would have been nice to find a bit of history about it from Peter.

I also need the following items so if anyone has anything in their scrap piles please let me know:

1. R3 Stuart carb float - the needle is present but someone has nicked the float
2. R3 flame arrestor - a nice to have and the one other LY that comes up in Google has one fitted.
3. Throttle spring.
4. Throttle spring pin - I can make one if need be.
5. Throttle arm locknut.
6. Rope starter pulley.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170204_11_52_36_Pro_LI.jpg (55.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170504_20_01_05_Pro_LI.jpg (185.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-05-17, 09:48 PM   #2
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

I was wondering if any Stuart people bought this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jap-engine...p2047675.l2557

Didn't know if they were the same/similar.

Your LY is looking really nice coming on better than my R3..... IIRC a Lister D float fits but I'm not 100% on that, not had to get one in a while....

Trying to think where else I've seen a serial number. Mine is stamped near the dipstick hole.

IMG_20160330_124855 by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

I have also seen it stamped on the feet of the crankcase.
Old 04-05-17, 10:09 PM   #3
ScottUK

Hi Steve,

Yes I saw that but the fitment is different, it's 2 vertical screws on the LY. Fingers crossed the Best & Lloyd from it will be ok!

Thanks for the tip on the Lister float, I should be able to find one of those easily, and fairly cheaply if it doesn't fit;)

Yes, on my R3ME the stamped number is on the dipstick side of the engine. On the LY though there is nothing and I took it back to bare metal. I wonder if it may have been stamped on the flywheel, but of course with that gone there's no way of finding it. The only place I haven't checked is on the old barrel, but I can't see as they'd stamp it there.

Is your R3 the industrial one you had with the unusual Wico mag?
Old 04-05-17, 10:23 PM   #4
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Hi Steve,

Yes I saw that but the fitment is different, it's 2 vertical screws on the LY. Fingers crossed the Best & Lloyd from it will be ok!

Thanks for the tip on the Lister float, I should be able to find one of those easily, and fairly cheaply if it doesn't fit;)

Yes, on my R3ME the stamped number is on the dipstick side of the engine. On the LY though there is nothing and I took it back to bare metal. I wonder if it may have been stamped on the flywheel, but of course with that gone there's no way of finding it. The only place I haven't checked is on the old barrel, but I can't see as they'd stamp it there.

Is your R3 the industrial one you had with the unusual Wico mag?
Hmm I wonder where it could be stamped then, can't recall it else where.
Yes mine is the one with the WICO WBC magneto, needs a lot of work atm.
Mine has the same outer flywheel as the Miller flywheel, can't see it stamped on mine. I think Peter put mine at 1937, will see if I can look back and find it....should really save the info....

Found it...

31033 sold to M Foolwil, 13/07/1937, Magneto WB No 1712, R3 engine.
Direct coupled to fan brake

Last edited by skankin_giant; 04-05-17 at 10:26 PM.
skankin_giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 12:20 PM   #5
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
(snip) I was wondering if any Stuart people bought this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jap-engine...p2047675.l2557

Didn't know if they were the same/similar.
Would fit Scott DSE but mine already has one so thought I'd leave it for someone else.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-17, 09:02 PM   #6
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Another one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stuart-Tur...53.m1438.l2649

Didn't attract any bids.

I wonder what the application was for these engines - perhaps Peter could tell us who the customer was?

NHH
Old 16-07-17, 09:25 PM   #7
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

I wonder if the inflating starting price did anything to help it's sale...started at 100 then increased 150 before dropping to 130. Its now back up at 120 but after a clean. Still as is 75-100 would be my price, maybe less if the Millers Coil is dead, oh it's gone again...

Last edited by skankin_giant; 16-07-17 at 09:39 PM.
skankin_giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-17, 09:34 PM   #8
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

See what you mean Steve - same one before being sprayed with WD40! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stuart-Tur...p2047675.l2557 doesn't seem to be the sellers usual fare.

Have you any ideas what they were used for? May be something similar to the P5LY I guess but there are other reasons for the user not wanting to use petroil.

NHH
Old 16-07-17, 09:39 PM   #9
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
See what you mean Steve - same one before being sprayed with WD40! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stuart-Tur...p2047675.l2557 doesn't seem to be the sellers usual fare.

Have you any ideas what they were used for? May be something similar to the P5LY I guess but there are other reasons for the user not wanting to use petroil.

NHH
I'm not sure Nick, apart from your ol'P5LY I've not heard of other applications.
Old 16-07-17, 09:45 PM   #10
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
I'm not sure Nick, apart from your ol'P5LY I've not heard of other applications.
As Peter has mentioned before, that was part of a wartime order from Fairmile Marine for a large number of the same type.

NHH