UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 30-04-17, 09:47 AM   #1
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Default Ronaldson and Tippett Astral NA

Now that the Little Wonder is all but finished it is time to drag another engine out for a make over. This time it is a Ronaldson and Tippett Astral NA this is an aircooled engine circa mid 1940's.

This should be a straight forward restoration, at least that's what I thought before I got into it. I made a start on it today, a wet day is always a good day to to restore an engine, I removed the tinware first. I am going to have to learn some new skills here as the tinware has had a hiding and is not in great shape, so is put aside while I think about it.

Next issue I found is that the pulley assembly was held on with two set screws and both have been broken off at the surface. This means the flywheel can't come off. I am not sure what I will do about that. At the moment I see two options. one is to leave it on the crankshaft. As I plan to paint the engine this will cause issues with both cleaning down and painting. Although being inside the cowling it may not matter much. the other option is to try to weld a nut on to the remainder of the set screws. this usually works well but I prefer to have more of the screw showing. drilling them out is not an option as they are under the fan part of the flywheel and not accessible.
Either way the crankshaft can come out, and I have done that.

I dismantled the engine and was very pleased to find the internals are in very good shape, the mains are timkin bearings and are perfect, this reduces the reasons for the flywheel to be removed. The big end and gudgen have no sign of movement so the bore and rings are usable with very little wear. The crankcase has the usual layer of sludge but I think everything will clean up well.

The magneto will require some work, it is stiff to turn and will have to be dismantled. that can wait. I believe the engine has never been outside so I hope it won't take too much to get a spark from it.

Here are the photos so far.

merv.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 09:56 AM   #2
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

In between a lot of other jobs I am well on to completion of the NA Ronnie.

I was able to weld nuts on to the remains of the set screws in the pulley. this enabled me to get the pulley off. Then I could get pinch bolt out of the flywheel remove it and get the crankshaft out. All the internals are in good order and can be reused.

This made it easy to clean it all up and get the flaky paint off ready for priming. Because the tinware was in poor shape leaving it unpainted wasn't an option. While the paint was original it was not the R and T green. The engine obviously been part of some equipment. I decided to match the paint that was on it. So after getting the valves reseated ground and lapped in it was all assembled. It did have good compression but something was wrong with the valve timing. Some head scratching and on opening up the engine found the timing marks all lined up, so off came the head and after carefully studying of the valve sequence reveled the inlet valve was too long. This may have came about with the reseating. About three mm was taken off and it came right.

Next was the tinware. I had to learn some new tricks to get it all presentable. I got it all back into shape and with the help of some bog it actually came up not too bad when it was painted.

I have made a wooden base and a crankhandle and I still have to make a gauze screen and fit the final cover over the flywheel.

The magneto was freed up and seemed to produce a good spark. but it wasn't good enough to fire the engine, the magnets are weak with very little flux, so it is away to get sorted out.

The photos show where it is at.

Merv

[IMG]DSCF5000 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF4999 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF4998 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by mervyn cloake; 24-11-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 24-11-17, 10:34 AM   #3
Robotstar5

It's looking good

<snip> and with the help of some bog

I assume that's some sort of local branded cleaner?, here it's a slang name for a toilet

Stuart.
Old 24-11-17, 10:43 AM   #4
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
It's looking good

<snip> and with the help of some bog

I assume that's some sort of local branded cleaner?, here it's a slang name for a toilet

Stuart.
Think body filler

Neil.
Old 24-11-17, 12:05 PM   #5
pulsechoes

I believe that North Eastern gents call it "carbodge". We used to call it "tet" (short for "Tetrosyl")
Old 24-11-17, 12:34 PM   #6
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

Looking good, I had one of those years ago
1947 D & F pumpset, 1943 close couple Lister Pumpset, 1931 & 1929 D types, 1929 Bruston D, 1930 Crossley 1030, 1942 Fowler PA, 1943 Fairbanks ZD, 1945 WD2, 1946 Bamford EG1, 1930 Superbloc 3hp, 1934 Conord F2, 1942 Ruston PT + driven equipment
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 01:42 PM   #7
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Nice work, at first glance that engine bears remarkable similarity to a certain J.A.P engine of the same era.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-17, 08:19 PM   #8
jv_as

Nicely proportioned! Great work.

JV.
jv_as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-18, 07:54 AM   #9
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

The magneto was sent away for a recondition. It turned out the coil was good so it was re-magnetized and a new condenser and bearings fitted.
I had some trouble getting the valve timing right and it turned out one of the valve stems was longer than the other, 3 mm off the long one sorted that, then was the problem of getting the spark timing right . With the help of a friend to watch the sequence. I couldn't do it all by my self, then after some adjustment we got that right. I had already rechecked the cam shaft timing marks and could not get it to run. Once everything was set up and a few minutes of cranking it fired up and then it was only a matter of learning where to set the jet for starting. It was inclined to flood but we soon had it running good.

There are still some small jobs to do on it like making the air cleaner and making and fitting the mesh cover for the flywheel then it is one more off the list.

Here are photos and video of the first run.

Merv.

https://youtu.be/WwWIub4hiq8

[IMG]DSCF5050 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5049 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]