UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Stuart-Turner

Old 27-04-17, 10:35 PM   #1
winchestergoose

Default Stuart Turner ...R3M

I have been putting off this job but I will have to do it soon. A problem came up last time I was running my engine at a rally. I was getting emulsified oil from the exhaust ...possibly a head gasket . Thats been replaced but now difficulty in starting the engine ,fires a couple of time with vigorous cranking but wont get away . I suspect that I may have a faulty seal between crankcase and gearbox as I was seeming to be loosing oil from the gear box. Anyone done a replacement of this seal?
winchestergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-17, 10:47 PM   #2
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

I have replaced the standard seal arrangement only P5 with more modern twin lip oils seals, seems to work ok.
If it's like the P5 industrial unit the governor side one can be done through the end cover, the flywheel side means a full engine strip.

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-17, 08:01 AM   #3
winchestergoose

Thanks Hornet..............yes I have replaced P5 seal's with the modern readily available type . The flywheel side seems to be ok ,no evidence of oil. I think I can pull the gear box off and replace that side seal.
winchestergoose is offline   Reply With Quote