UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Stuart-Turner

Old 24-03-17, 07:30 PM   #1
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Identifying your P5

Well as we have a Stuart Turner section I thought it was worth knocking this up as there seems to be confusion over the Stuart P5.

Lets start from the beginning with the P4, the P4 was introduced in 1928 and replaced the P3, it was a more robust design featuring roller bearings through out.
The P4 (Bore and Stroke 2 3/8 x 2 3/4) was uprated to 3HP to produce the P5 (Bore and Stroke 2 3/4 x 2 3/4)
This early P5 looks identical to the P4 with 4 bolt cylinder head and bolt on cast iron expansion chamber.
This early P5 was also used as the companies 1st marine engine the P5M, and I will refer to it as the "4 Bolt P5" for it's 4 stud cylinder head.

P4

4 bolt P5M

The P5M was later redesigned due to Stuart finding a good market with their marine engine
There were lots of changes to the top end, a 6 bolt head and a water cooled expansion chamber are two of the identifying features of the "6 Bolt P5"

Sadly I don't really have good pictures of the 6 bolt P5M

I am not sure if both the 4 bolt P5 used in industrial form for gensets etc and 6 Bolt P5M were in production at the same time.

The P5X was the industrial version of the 6 bolt P5, it had a thinner flywheel, the water cooled expansion chamber tower was removed/blanked off and replaced with a cast iron expansion chamber. Zwicky fuel bowsers were a user of these.

Pinched a photo from DanPT sorry....

The 6 Bolt P5's can also be found on generator sets with a heavier flywheel than the P5X

Anyways it's a bit brief but covers the main P5s out there, I hope it helps....
Old 24-03-17, 07:58 PM   #2
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for that, your first pic is pretty much what i have, may even be identical, as only point of difference is the mag chain cover, mine is missing, but the only one I have seen in the flesh was slightly different.
Serial number for this engine is 13288, engine on display at Museum of Power Langford, (nr Maldon)

My own engine is number 13011 so fairly close the one shown.

Neil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5 rear cover.jpg (82.6 KB, 9 views)
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 08:12 PM   #3
Appletop

Once had a P5M same as the second photo. 1932 that was dated at.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-17, 08:27 PM   #4
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Thanks for that, your first pic is pretty much what i have, may even be identical, as only point of difference is the mag chain cover, mine is missing, but the only one I have seen in the flesh was slightly different.
Serial number for this engine is 13288, engine on display at Museum of Power Langford, (nr Maldon)

My own engine is number 13011 so fairly close the one shown.

Neil.
That is a later timing cover with the dip stick, here is an earlier one with sight oil level well.

IIRC yours is a P5LY? which should look something like this:

Old 24-03-17, 08:30 PM   #5
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
Once had a P5M same as the second photo. 1932 that was dated at.
Quite an interesting segment of ST history the initial marine engines.

In 1930 the marine engine was born after an extremely short period of gestation.
It happened in this way :- Mr. Neble, a Danish gentleman, came to see us. He told us he wanted a 3 b.h.p. engine for pleasure park boats, could not find one that was any good and would we provide him with 50 engines within four weeks? We took a deep breath and said “Yes”!
The P.5 cylinder, the circulating pump and the other details were designed, the patterns made, castings produced, engines machined, built and tested and the first delivery of 12 engines was taken down by Mr. Cossins in the Works lorry and delivered on the appointed day (much to the annoyance of the boat builders, who were not nearly ready for them). Everyone concerned had put their backs into it and done a little more than their best.
Afterwards, of course, the marine engine gradually evolved, marine clutch, gearbox and other frills were added and the P.55 came along.
Old 24-03-17, 08:55 PM   #6
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
IIRC yours is a P5LY? which should look something like this:
Nope, just a plain P5, flat rear cover with no pumps, oil or water.

Neil.
Old 24-03-17, 08:58 PM   #7
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Nope, just a plain P5, flat rear cover with no pumps, oil or water.

Neil.
Ah ok, then either the sight oil lever or dipstick cover will suite.
Old 24-03-17, 11:06 PM   #8
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
Ah ok, then either the sight oil lever or dipstick cover will suite.
They would indeed, but having spent a long while looking, and being disappointed
or having some one try to bend me over I said no more, found a piece of 5/16" steel plate and made my own. Level screw instead of a dipstick though.

Neil.
Old 24-03-17, 11:14 PM   #9
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Have you tried the likes of stationary engine magazine and the Stuart Turner information exchange?

I made one out of plate for one I had in college we fitted with a electronic governor. Done the job.
Old 24-03-17, 11:24 PM   #10
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Stuart Turner exchange, is that the Yahoo group thing ?
After someone asked £100 for one, dipstick missing I sort of lost interest in buying one.
Then a forum member offered one, but never followed through and doesn't answer PM's, that decided me to make one.

Neil.