UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 20-03-17, 08:09 PM   #1
Shifty1962

Smile How to .......

Hello again. Sorry to be the newby asking all sorts of questions about my engine but I do search (honestly) and never seem to come up with the right answers.

SO my latest questions to those that know, and hopefully my last for a short while, is :

How do I set up and adjust the governor weights and linkage on my Hired Man? I know how it works but think it is way out of adjustment. The springs were off the engine when I got it and there is a little wear on the weight arms where they contact the slip ring. I have refitted them but have no idea how to adjust them properly. Any guidance would be very helpful.

What position should the butterfly be in with the engine at rest and the weights held together under spring tension? I'm assuming wide open?

When you wind the weight adjusters out what does this affect? Engine speed and in which direction ie slower or faster?

The rollers that operate the throttle arm are in very good order (they look new).

I promise this will be the last of my questions for a while.

Cheers Steve
Shifty1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 10:16 PM   #2
Dazzla

Start off with butterfly in the half-open position with the governors in the rest position. That should be open more than enough for the engine to start. You can tweak it if needs be after trying it.

Many folk have differing opinions, and a lot will say to make sure the butterfly is wide open when the engine is stopped. In my opinion it is more important that the butterfly is fully shut before the governors get to the limit of their travel when it's running. Trust me, there is nothing worse than the governors being in the shut position but the throttle still being wide open!

To increase the speed you increase the tension in the springs on the weights by doing up the adjusting nuts. There's a lot of Amancos out there with no governor springs fitted. People remove them to make them run slower.

Dazzla

Ps, don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Nobody knows everything, and we've all had to learn from others

Last edited by Dazzla; 20-03-17 at 10:19 PM.
Dazzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 10:26 PM   #3
Shifty1962

Cheers Daz.

I've seen a runaway stationary engine on "Shed & Buried" so I don't want mine doing the same. Makes sense that the throttle should be closed with the weights just before max travel point. Its my next job but will have to wait for the weekend now.

I did wonder why the engine seemed to be running very slowly and the missing springs would explain that.

I dont want it running flat out but it was almost too slow in my opinion and eventually I want to drive my Stuart pump off the engine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzla View Post
Start off with butterfly in the half-open position with the governors in the rest position. That should be open more than enough for the engine to start. You can tweak it if needs be after trying it.

Many folk have differing opinions, and a lot will say to make sure the butterfly is wide open when the engine is stopped. In my opinion it is more important that the butterfly is fully shut before the governors get to the limit of their travel when it's running. Trust me, there is nothing worse than the governors being in the shut position but the throttle still being wide open!

To increase the speed you increase the tension in the springs on the weights by doing up the adjusting nuts. There's a lot of Amancos out there with no governor springs fitted. People remove them to make them run slower.

Dazzla

Ps, don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Nobody knows everything, and we've all had to learn from others
Old 20-03-17, 10:42 PM   #4
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

A lot of owners seem to want to play the 'how slow will she go' game, I guess that is the reason for the missing springs on yours.

EDIT; Sorry, repeating what Dazzla said. BTW, if anyone knows his Amancos he does - how many in the family now Daz?

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 20-03-17 at 10:46 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 02:46 PM   #5
Dazzla

That's flattery, Nick. There are many who know much more.

In answer to your question, enough to produce 92hp. And it's not the biggest collection in the UK.

Dazzla
Old 30-03-17, 08:48 PM   #6
Dazzla

Did you get anywhere with your engine, Steve?

Dazzla
Old 31-03-17, 07:24 PM   #7
Shifty1962

Not yet mate. Was er indoors' birthday last weekend (notice two days) and busy felling an oak tree this weekend so gone a bit stagnant.
Appletop sent me a very useful parts and instruction book for the Amanco's that he was not using so I'm feeling much more confident when I do get round to it.

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress but it wont be for a week or so yet. I'm having aggro at work so I may have more time to play when I tell them to shove it which is more than likely in my current frame of mind.

Cheers
Steve
Old 31-03-17, 08:19 PM   #8
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty1962 View Post
I may have more time to play when I tell them to shove it which is more than likely in my current frame of mind.

Cheers
Steve

Take This Job &

It feels so good to do it

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 08:41 PM   #9
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

For how long?

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 11:32 PM   #10
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
For how long?

NHH
The feeling stayed long enough to not regret it during the job search that followed

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote