UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 17-10-16, 09:25 PM   #21
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
P.S Was the MG badged do da called the Magnette?
Cant remember for sure, i think so. They did a Riley one too. ---Sunbeam Rapier Hillman Minx Singer ?? same car different badges
Old 17-10-16, 10:35 PM   #22
pulsechoes

It still goes on now. My Wife had a Citroen C1 and my Sister-in Law has a Peugeot 107, same car except for the badges and the back light clusters.
I'm considering getting rid of the van and the camper and getting something like a Ford Galaxy (or a Volkswagen Sharan or a Seat Alhambra) all basically the same thing, and a trailer tent. A mate of mine had a Ford Maverick (rebadged Nissan Terrano ??) or the other way round?? His had a Ford sticker on the rocker box with a Nissan sticker underneath!! Now We've got the Evoque and the "Land Wind"!!!!
Old 18-10-16, 09:59 AM   #23
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
Cant remember for sure, i think so. They did a Riley one too. ---Sunbeam Rapier Hillman Minx Singer ?? same car different badges
Riley 4/72. just seen a picture of one.
Old 18-10-16, 10:24 AM   #24
Cycloid

Quote:
Riley 4/72. just seen a picture of one.
Nice looking thing Barry.
All in all there was something nice about it all. It was quintessential Englishness through and through. Whatever we say about these cars they did have a certain character and more importantly you could lift the bonnet with a spanner in your hand. Recently a friends van broke down the fault was the starter motor. The Engine management system shut the whole thing down 'dead'. What is all that about, give me a nice moggy minor any day

Last edited by Cycloid; 18-10-16 at 11:10 AM.
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-16, 10:33 AM   #25
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
It still goes on now. My Wife had a Citroen C1 and my Sister-in Law has a Peugeot 107, same car except for the badges and the back light clusters.
I'm considering getting rid of the van and the camper and getting something like a Ford Galaxy (or a Volkswagen Sharan or a Seat Alhambra) all basically the same thing, and a trailer tent. A mate of mine had a Ford Maverick (rebadged Nissan Terrano ??) or the other way round?? His had a Ford sticker on the rocker box with a Nissan sticker underneath!! Now We've got the Evoque and the "Land Wind"!!!!
One of the worst I can think of in recent times Charles is the Ford Fiesta / Mazda 121. Whereas the Fiesta was a sales success the 121 was a flop. Can't knock Mazda though, look at what they did with rotary engine.
Old 18-10-16, 11:42 AM   #26
novo

Quote:
Nice looking thing Barry.
All in all there was something nice about it all. It was quintessential Englishness through and through. Whatever we say about these cars they did have a certain character and more importantly you could lift the bonnet with a spanner in your hand. Recently a friends van broke down the fault was the starter motor. The Engine management system shut the whole thing down 'dead'. What is all that about, give me a nice moggy minor any day
Years ago i had a Marina van with the A series engine. You could almost walk round the engine inside the bonnet. So many late model cars in the scrapyards nowadays because of uneconomic repair.
Old 18-10-16, 12:54 PM   #27
Cycloid

Quote:
Years ago i had a Marina van with the A series engine. You could almost walk round the engine inside the bonnet. So many late model cars in the scrapyards nowadays because of uneconomic repair.
You've hit the nail on the head! Its like 'built in obsolescence', not to mention how much more of the Earth's raw materials this ideology gobbles up
Old 18-10-16, 10:49 PM   #28
'A' Lister

Quote:
You've hit the nail on the head! Its like 'built in obsolescence', not to mention how much more of the Earth's raw materials this ideology gobbles up
Yes, but the new ones they are replaced with are so much more economical when it comes to MPG, so that must make it alright?!

Does anyone know if the manufacturing, working life expectancy/maintenance, and decommissioning impacts/costs are taken into account when working out how 'green' a vehicle really is? If so, is there a top ten and a bottom ten?
Old 19-10-16, 08:16 AM   #29
novo

I worked on the MK3 Cortina in the body group (Fords) before it came out. We had a floor pan we were looking at & as a brand new pan in bare shiny steel we pointed out all the rust traps. I spent a week just before the bodies went into the paint shop scrubbing rust off with acid & wire wool. (I think they were trying to compete with Vauxhall to see who's cars would fall to bits first.) I remember them fitting front wings covered in rust because theyd been sitting under a roof leak in the cages. Mk3s (we were told) were built to last 7 years.
Old 19-10-16, 08:27 AM   #30
pulsechoes

And the "rattletrap" 2 litre OHC engines were fitted to make the lifespan even less!!! That's at least one thing that BL got right at the time, an OHC engine with a cam that ran in an "oil-bath" (The 1750 Maxi !!!!)