UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 16-10-16, 09:40 PM   #11
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
A healthy divergence of opinion!
OTOH if you are going to give something the full treatment, why not bling it up a bit - I think there is good evidence that manufacturers specialy prepared their show engines.

NHH
I have a "show" engine, its external nuts are chromed but not all engines were show engines, I hate it when an object is turned into something it isn't i.e making a MK1 Cortina into a Lotus Cortina by a paint job and badges.
Old 17-10-16, 10:24 AM   #12
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post

Actually I'm something of a fan of the 'working clothes' look myself which some regard as just lazy - "when are you going to get round to painting that ****** thing mate?". OTOH if you are going to give something the full treatment, why not bling it up a bit - I think there is good evidence that manufacturers specialy prepared their show engines.

NHH
Nick,
One of the hardest things I have to put up with about myself is if somethings not how it should be then it annoys the hell out of me. I subscribe 100% to your 'working clothes' ideology but with me it would manifest itself differently

1. If it was very original 'time capsule' engine with a lovely patina I would leave as is, and just give it the 'oily rag' treatment'
2. If the thing has been under a sheet in someones back garden I would have to restore.

I think there is no real answer to what is right and what is wrong but at the end of the day you've got the old thing is running what more could anyone want! An old timer once said to me "remember the value of an original finish" I think that that was good advice. I used to buy 'Classic Bike' but got fed up of it because the bikes in the mag were over restored and to me they looked over done. There are lots of different ways of looking at it, at the end of the day I don't think any one opinion is necessarily the right one. Your ethos is not lazy Nick, a special set of skills must be required to run an engine as is. I'm quite sure we could find lots of evidence for all sorts of cosmetics that manufacturers used to 'tart up' their wares.

graham

Last edited by Cycloid; 17-10-16 at 10:37 AM.
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-16, 10:46 AM   #13
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
I have a "show" engine, its external nuts are chromed but not all engines were show engines, I hate it when an object is turned into something it isn't i.e making a MK1 Cortina into a Lotus Cortina by a paint job and badges.

Phew! I think the British car industry was guilty of that in 50's & 60's, I don't know how they got away with it? Remember these:
Riley Elf, Wolseley 16/60. The Austin Cambridge and the Morris Oxford those two were surely the same car. Then there was that awful Vanden Plas stuff that BL cobbed up in the 70's. The worst of all for me must be that Mg Maestro thingy, people actually spent their hard earned cash on that car? I shall end my rant now Martin.

graham

Last edited by Cycloid; 17-10-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 17-10-16, 11:10 AM   #14
'A' Lister

They did it with the Austin 1300GT and the MG 1300 as well, and the 1100 Vanden Plas. Which was quite handy if you had a mini in the early 1980s and wanted twin SU carbs, as the scrap yards were full of these 'variations on a theme', often with still shiny paintwork and chrome and about 35,000 miles on the clock, but rotten as a pear underneath! At least progress seems to have made today's cars last a bit longer.
Old 17-10-16, 01:37 PM   #15
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
Phew! I think the British car industry was guilty of that in 50's & 60's, I don't know how they got away with it? Remember these:
Riley Elf, Wolseley 16/60. The Austin Cambridge and the Morris Oxford those two were surely the same car. Then there was that awful Vanden Plas stuff that BL cobbed up in the 70's. The worst all all for me must be that Mg Maestro thingy, people actually spent their hard earned cash on that car? I shall end my rant now Martin.

graham
Wolseley hornet, (16/60 was a wolseley badged Cambridge) There was an MG badged Cambridge too. Rootes Group were even worse for badge engineering.
Old 17-10-16, 01:44 PM   #16
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
Wolseley hornet, (16/60 was a wolseley badged Cambridge) There was an MG badged Cambridge too. Rootes Group were even worse for badge engineering.
Ah yes! Now you've really got me going down memory lane, no doubt you'll remember the 'Humber Sceptre,' a Hillman Hunter with embellishments. Oh, and the Singer Gazelle, aw stop you lot you've got me at it!

graham
Old 17-10-16, 01:45 PM   #17
Cycloid

Quote:
Ah yes! Now you've really got me going down memory lane, no doubt you'll remember the 'Humber Sceptre,' a Hillman Hunter with embellishments. Oh, and the Singer Gazelle, aw stop you lot you've got me at it!

graham
P.S Was the MG badged do da called the Magnette?
Old 17-10-16, 04:17 PM   #18
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh
OTOH if you are going to give something the full treatment, why not bling it up a bit - I think there is good evidence that manufacturers specialy prepared their show engines.

NHH
Not really the same thing - you are not trying to pass off the engine as anything it isn't, more akin to the custom car crew I suppose who like to plate and polish everything in sight.

BTW. If you are going to quote selectively please indicate so by marking with '(snip)'.

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-16, 08:23 PM   #19
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
They did it with the Austin 1300GT and the MG 1300 as well, and the 1100 Vanden Plas. Which was quite handy if you had a mini in the early 1980s and wanted twin SU carbs, as the scrap yards were full of these 'variations on a theme', often with still shiny paintwork and chrome and about 35,000 miles on the clock, but rotten as a pear underneath! At least progress seems to have made today's cars last a bit longer.
You know when you've had an awful nightmare and you try to block it out. I do remember the 1300 GT, I think you could buy it in vomit green with a black vinyl roof. Actually I had a 1275 Gt Clubman in the early 80s it was orange and had a vinyl roof. It had cone suspension and the handling was fantastic but normal conversation was impossible above 50 mph.

Using a 1300 Gt head on the Clubman never crossed my mind at the time!

Last edited by Cycloid; 17-10-16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 17-10-16, 08:34 PM   #20
danthetangye

Snip:
Quote:
I actually only need one strap but my work load is demanding at present so it's finding the time to do things such as this.

Thanks again,
graham
You probably spent longer talking about it, and rambling off topic, than it would take to actually get a lump of steel cut and make a new strap!

Dan
danthetangye is online now   Reply With Quote