UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 16-10-16, 12:21 PM   #1
Cycloid

Default Tank Straps?

Being the fussy so & so that I am I am looking to replace a missing tank strap on my Lister A Junior. My particular engine has the tank attached to the crankcase as opposed to cradled on the trolley. I have seen some 'D' tank straps on eBay, my question is "will some 'D' tank straps fit my 'A' tank? If there is somebody who owns both engines they will know immediately, but the 'A' is my first engine so I can't make a comparison so hopefully someone will have the information.

Thank you,
graham
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 12:32 PM   #2
danthetangye

No. The tanks are different shapes. Why not make one from a piece of flat steel strip? Should be easy as you have a pattern.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 03:16 PM   #3
Appletop

D straps are about 2" too short. I did use a pair of D straps on my A when I did that but had to make a block to fit on the end to allow for the shortness of the D ones. Would have been easier to make a strap from scratch tbh.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 08:29 PM   #4
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
No. The tanks are different shapes. Why not make one from a piece of flat steel strip? Should be easy as you have a pattern.

Dan
I have considered making a pair Dan. I would have liked to have fitted some originals albeit they are bound to be thin on the ground. I have seen some engines with some copper straps and I thought they looked the biz. Perhaps you were the push I needed to pull my finger out and make some. I'll wait a few days to see if anyone is forthcoming and if not I'll get around to making some from brass or copper thin plate.

Thank you for your time
Graham
Old 16-10-16, 08:34 PM   #5
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
D straps are about 2" too short. I did use a pair of D straps on my A when I did that but had to make a block to fit on the end to allow for the shortness of the D ones. Would have been easier to make a strap from scratch tbh.

Thank you for confirming that for me. I've been watching some 'D' straps on eBay. But as I mentioned I am not able to make a direct comparison, now I have the confirmation I needed. Dan has suggested I make some, I will do that if no one offers me a set.

Thank you for your time
graham

Last edited by Cycloid; 17-10-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 16-10-16, 08:34 PM   #6
Lister M

Your engine and you can do as you wish but copper or brass straps look awful in my view.

Martin P
Old 16-10-16, 08:42 PM   #7
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Obviously not OE but I quite like the contrast - and of course you can always paint them if you find they do offend!

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 08:46 PM   #8
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Your engine and you can do as you wish but copper or brass straps look awful in my view.

Martin P
I'll take that on board Martin. I haven't seen an example in the flesh, it was a listing on eBay that made me think of shiny straps. Fitting non ferrous straps might be likened to fitting 'mag alloys' to a 'T' series MG in stationary engine circles. Thanks Martin by tomorrow morning i will no doubt have come around to your way of thinking. I actually only need one strap but my work load is demanding at present so it's finding the time to do things such as this.

Thanks again,
graham
Old 16-10-16, 09:00 PM   #9
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Obviously not OE but I quite like the contrast - and of course you can always paint them if you find they do offend!

NHH
Hello Nick,
I never ceases to amaze me the different ideas you find in Stationary Engine circles! You have a valid point and a plus point is them wont rust like the steel ones did long ago. I suppose I like shiny metal and have spent many a happy hour polishing engine and gearbox panels on British motorcycles until I can see my face in them. If I end up making some perhaps it should be brass or copper and as you point out I can always paint them later.

Thanks for that.
graham
Old 16-10-16, 09:30 PM   #10
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
(snip) I never ceases to amaze me the different ideas you find in Stationary Engine circles!
A healthy divergence of opinion!

Actually I'm something of a fan of the 'working clothes' look myself which some regard as just lazy - "when are you going to get round to painting that ****** thing mate?". OTOH if you are going to give something the full treatment, why not bling it up a bit - I think there is good evidence that manufacturers specialy prepared their show engines.

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 16-10-16 at 09:33 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote