UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 16-09-16, 04:58 PM   #1
Cycloid

Default Lister A Quadrant Lubricator needed please

Hello fellow Lister A owners. My particular engine {Lister A spec 25- 3.5HP @ 650rpm} is bereft of a Quadrant Lubricator part number 2/525. Does anyone have one spare that we could come to some arrangement over? Failing that information where one could be purchased from. I suppose this is what you'd call a greaser. I was one in the 1970s you know!
Having looked at the missing part properly it is the cap that's missing and not the whole part.

Last edited by Cycloid; 16-09-16 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect description of request
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 06:55 PM   #2
'A' Lister

On the later twin flywheel Lister As (the kind with the valve covers inside the hopper) the quadrant lubricator is just a metal tube/pipe with a threaded end that screws into the governor ring housing to direct drops of oil onto the governor ring mechanism (see instruction book for lubrication info). Be careful with this lubricator tube, especially if it's a bit bent, as they can shear off at the top of the threads if you try to straighten them!

The cap that fits into the end of the pipe is the sort with a 'spring clip' type lift up lid (to keep the dirt out). I forget the name of this type of cap now (but it's definitely not a greaser, they are totally different) but I'm sure someone on here will know what they are called! I'm sure you will find something to fit, but you'll need to measure the internal diameter of the lubricator pipe to know the size you need before you start trying to find one (unless someone on here knows what size it is?).

I bought one of these caps from a stall at the 1000 Engine Rally several years ago. It was just a little too small (probably metric rather than imperial!) so I wrapped some adhesive tape around it to increase the diameter and gently tapped it into the end of the pipe with a toffee hammer (I'll probably get shouted at by the engineers on here now!). Anyway it's not fallen off yet and looks the part! Hope this is useful.

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 16-09-16 at 06:57 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 06:59 PM   #3
air-cooled

Flip oiler, flip top oiler, "flip flap" oiler.

Phillip
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 09:52 PM   #4
Cycloid

Thank you for your helpful reply. I asked S.E.P if they had the correct part for my engine. It was described to me as a 'greaser'. thinking about it it makes more sense that oil is fed to the moving parts as opposed to grease. I watched a steam wally video and it shows the man himself screwing what looks to be my missing part down on his own Lister A? I haven't owned this engine for very long so I'm still finding my way around it, as I am with the forum as I only joined yesterday. Thank you for your reply which has given me some food for thought. At present I pour a little oil down the hole before starting up to now there hasn't been a problem. I have looked on google images and the errant part seems to be a brass cap. I think my engine was made in 1937?. I could probably do with going to a rally and spotting another Lister A to see what's what. Thanks again!!
Old 16-09-16, 09:53 PM   #5
Cycloid

Thank you for your post Thebrass part in question would be located directly above the crankshaft magneto sprocket, and will screw on. I haven't worked out if I can post any pictures on threads as yet {only been a member one day}I would post a picture to back up my poor explanations. Either way I would like to make the old engine as good as I can so I'm starting with this missing part. Incidentally can you tell me what spec 25 will denote? Thank you for taking the time to post

Last edited by Cycloid; 16-09-16 at 10:03 PM. Reason: misunderstood thread at first
Old 16-09-16, 10:16 PM   #6
'A' Lister

You're talking about different sides of the engine there, the mag chain drive is on the 'spark plug side' of a hopper-cooled engine (assuming your engine is hopper and not tank cooled?), the governor is on the 'blind side' of the hopper. I'll post a couple of photos within the next hour, you can then say which bit you are wanting.
Old 16-09-16, 10:35 PM   #7
Cycloid

Thank you again for your help. When I work out how to post a picture on the forum I could explain myself better. Yes we are talking about the spark plug side! Methinks the part is an internally threaded brass cap of some sort it probably worked loose and will be found by a metal detectorist in a 100 years time! Mine is hopper cooled!
graham

Last edited by Cycloid; 16-09-16 at 10:37 PM. Reason: omitted imformation
Old 16-09-16, 11:17 PM   #8
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

If we are talking about the (roughly) 6" long tube with a flip-top oiler at the top, I have a spare one around here somewhere. If I can lay my hands on it, and it's what you are looking for, then I'm sure we can come to an arrangement...

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 11:34 PM   #9
'A' Lister

Here are a couple of photos of my 1940 Lister A. Your engine is older so it may well be different (Lister changed things quite a bit during the production run of the Lister A), so take these photos as a rough guide, not necessarily as an indication of how your engine should look! (For instance, I think the fuel pump drive arm oiler is just a hole on some engines, rather than it being fitted with an oiler lid?)

Firstly the governor side:

Then the magneto and fuel pump side:

I hope these help identify which part you require, if your engine is different please let us know and Iím sure someone will be able to help.
Old 16-09-16, 11:52 PM   #10
Cycloid

Dear Martin, I have taken a picture of the relevant part of the engine where the missing part goes, I don't know as yet how to upload a picture to the forum if indeed you can {this is all a bit new} Whatever form the replacement part takes it will screw onto a male thread. It makes sense to me to have an extension to the oiler that way you wont break your wrist in the flywheel spokes whilst oiling. Thank you for your offer of the part hopefully it will do the job. If I find out how to upload a picture I'll do that. in the meantime you may be able to lay your hands on the part.