UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section

Old 21-07-16, 11:04 AM   #1
Paul_Sterling

Default Locomotion 2017, Dates requested

Hi folks,

As per title, I am looking for suggestions on potential dates based on your 2017 calendar to help pinpoint the date for Locomotion 2017.

I made the decision based on feedback to move the event for 2016 to the summer, however attendance was no better than April 2015 (and in fact, compared to 2014, numbers were down at both). Event clashes have been a common reason for not attending, so we'd like to reduce this issue as much as possible.

I would like to try and find weekends which minimise event clashes, we only have 3 weekends in June and July which cannot be chosen (through already booked events at the museum) June 3 & 4, July 1 & 2, July 8 & 9.

Suggestions are welcome and encouraged, as I would like to provide more opportunity for people to attend this wonderful museum, and to help develop this rally.

thanks
Paul.
Old 27-07-16, 04:15 PM   #2
Paul_Sterling

Locomotion 2017 is booked for 29th & 30th July.

next question is, what would people like to see there to convince them to come along? We put an awful lot in to the rally at present, and yet numbers are still low, so we would really like to get feedback on how to improve.

Paul.
Old 29-07-16, 05:33 PM   #3
Rookesy
Forum Supporter

Paul,
What about the middle of August, 2nd or 3rd weekend? The weather should be something like and few will be on holiday because it is the school hols and prices are through the roof.
Old 30-07-16, 07:19 AM   #4
jaconeli88
Forum Supporter 2013

Default August

Hi Paul,
I would also suggest August as I have done Hinderwell show for the past 5 years in a row and the weather has been good every time.
Nick.
Old 30-07-16, 08:19 AM   #5
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookesy View Post
Paul,
What about the middle of August, 2nd or 3rd weekend? The weather should be something like and few will be on holiday because it is the school hols and prices are through the roof.
Hi Chaps,

I've actually committed to the date now, as I got little response previously.

August would be great, though 2nd 3rd week of august is typically the summer shutdown fortnight for a number of people, and when they are most likely to be away on holiday (myself included).

plus it would clash with Driffield, and a number of village/country shows, admittedly none that I attend myself, but plenty of other would be Locomotion attenders would.

cheers.
Paul.
Old 30-07-16, 08:21 AM   #6
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

With so many local shows in the season, it is difficult to pick a date that isn't going to clash with something, somewhere.

We went to the first Locomotion and weather apart it was OK, subsequent years have seen us unable to make the trip due to surgery etc, but as it gets later and later in the calendar I wonder if that will make a big difference?

There is a core of engine guys like DonP that will go regardless, but he is local so not a big trip. Charles is further afield and possible more representative. Our location means it's a 200 mile trip each way, so not exactly round the corner, but we'd do it again once my health is restored.

I think the date won't make a big difference, it needs to carve out its own niche on the calendar so people go for the engines, not the Shildon loco's etc.

Just my thoughts,

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 09:52 AM   #7
Appletop

As Peter said, need to pick a date and stick to it so people can then get it in their memory bank for other years, then it will be able to grow. Nothing worse that a rally that keeps moving around all over the place date wise.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 01:00 PM   #8
Paul_Sterling

Hi Gents,

though I genuinely agree that the date should stick, it is very difficult to do so when we have to work around a calendar which is set by the NRM and varies from year to year.

When the rally was held in April, people complained about the cold and the weather, so it was trialled in the summer.

Paul.
Old 30-07-16, 06:32 PM   #9
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

That first session was pretty bleak!

I'd have thought that the NRM would understand about having dates reasonably static, ask Pam and see what she says, if you haven't already.

By mid summer, most folks are pretty much set in what they are going to.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 11:35 PM   #10
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
That first session was pretty bleak!

I'd have thought that the NRM would understand about having dates reasonably static, ask Pam and see what she says, if you haven't already.

By mid summer, most folks are pretty much set in what they are going to.

Peter
Well ahead on that one Peter, the museum does appreciate it, but they also have big events, many of which are one offs (have you seen what they've had on this week?), booked a long time in advance, and we simply have to work around them. I was given a choice of dates for 2017, and the same date as this year was not one of those available.

Paul.