UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister L

Old 08-08-16, 11:30 PM   #31
Numpty

Good to know your enjoying the thread Mike. Series 2 Listers is where I started after the obligatory D type. The J type is probably one of my favourites. I'd like a flick mag one, perhaps one day. There was a very unusual series 2 engine on ebay earlier this year, with a different crankcase and large Bruston flywheels, it only made 150. I nearly bid but now is not the time.
The Clubs Lister A is the fifth production engine, part of the first batch of 6 if I remember correctly, of those 4 survive, 36795 being the first and oldest in Cornwall, 96 in Border Country, our 97 in Sussex and 99 too.

Mark
Old 09-08-16, 10:01 AM   #32
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Mark,
Thank you for the contributions that has given me a better insight to my engine and it has certainly increased my knowledge about early Listers.

.The two A's that I have are:- 3 1/2 hp hopper cooled 254 DH3 I believe 1953.

The other much earlier A is 2hp tank cooled S/n 39448 Spec 52 Circa 1923/4?
It is mostly complete but missing the magneto and carburetor. also it has been under water, so it is a project but not beyond recovery. I have done no research on early A's or this engine.

Merv
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 10:11 AM   #33
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

I suppose this should be in another thread but the restoration of this A is a wee way off so I will post a photo of the Spec 52 A here.
Merv.

[IMG][/IMG]
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 02:45 PM   #34
Numpty

Mervyn, that looks a project. Spec 12(52) ran for only a few months in 1924 so quite a rarey. If you are ordering the H-R book, ask for an A and B type too. Specify the latest version as DWE had just completed an update before his untimely demise.

Mark
Old 12-08-16, 02:04 PM   #35
AndyP
Forum Supporter 2011

What I believe to be correct...
Here is 2854 (Merv)...this engine is the late 1910 improved design. The sliding cam governor has gone, the cylinder has lost it's lifting eye (but gained the top access plate)
The Crank Case is now very different from the sliding cam model, the Main Bearings are now the split type with bearing caps, this replaces the bushes...the starting side bush was fitted directly into the crank case, the other side has it's bush fitted in a large housing which is then secured to the crank case with 3 studs + nuts. This housing covers a hole big enough to facilitate straight removal of the crank shaft.
Also gone is the base fuel tank to make room for a larger oil sump. Previously the oil sump was much like a Petter M's, i.e. not much...also, oiling was by splash only (no oil pump)
The single plunger 'Stover style' petrol pump is now a Lister design with two plungers, the second being for oil.
Petrol now comes from an external tank.
With the change of governing, a boss is now added where the governor control rod exits the crank case.
The Flywheel keys are now the standard Gib head type, previously they had a headless key with an unusual retaining bolt arrangement.
The carburettor is still the pre-original type, this is soon phased-out, to be replaced by the 'Original type', this coined name (DWE?) was before the 2? earlier types were realised...
There are several other changes including breathers, but that would need another page of writing to cover...but enough for now!
Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1893.jpg (194.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1880.jpg (195.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by AndyP; 12-08-16 at 04:13 PM. Reason: correction
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote