UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister L

Old 15-07-16, 10:07 AM   #11
stevecraig
Forum Light User

Had a look at the other four listers Iv got in the shed two are quite early models : lister size J - no 7899- hp 21/2- rpm 450 and
: lister size L - no 15583 - hp 4 - rpm 400. These where flick Maggy but have been converted to rotary, the other two are later models with rotary magg. The engine with the removable head is (lister copy) Southern Cross. The J model no 7899 has the no 2010b cast at the bottom but is completely different to my other J no 3501 at the top of this tread! Any thoughts? Thank you Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.7 KB, 37 views)
stevecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 10:10 AM   #12
stevecraig
Forum Light User

Here is a photo of the cylinder of eng no: 7899 J model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 15-07-16, 09:37 PM   #13
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Mark.
Having been quite busy over the last few days I haven't had the time to to give this subject much attention.
I am finding it very interesting. What I have said is based on my own observations which of course can be misleading and the fact that early Listers are thin on the ground can easily lead to wrong conclusions. However there are some things that I haven't been able to reconcile with the "facts" I have the greatest respect with Davids research and I wouldn't question it.
Over the next day or so I will get more photos of my engine and then we can discuss it in more detail.
I would very much doubt that Craig's engine would have been returned to the factory for modification, But parts could have been sent to Aust. or the engine may have been sent out there after modification as "new" .
I do know this happened with other makes.
Levin and Co were the NZ importing agents and I am trying to find out more about that company in relation to when they first brought them in, so far with no success.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 09:49 PM   #14
Numpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn cloake View Post
or the engine may have been sent out there after modification as "new" .
Merv.
That was my thought exactly. This may sound a trifle harsh but the reality is probably sold in the UK and returned under warranty and then rebuilt and palmed off as new by sending half way round the world. Less likely to get any comebacks then. I could be wrong of course but the obliterated number seems to confirm it was rebuilt. I doubt that a new number would have been issued had it not been done at Dursley.

Mark
Old 16-07-16, 09:03 PM   #15
pascal22

Hi Steve,

I wonder about the system of two pulley on my J engine, have you got any J type with this ?
image.jpg
And could you take a photo like mine to compare.

Thanks in advance

Pascal
Old 17-07-16, 01:20 AM   #16
stevecraig
Forum Light User

Hello Pascal22
I don't think that pulley is original fitting, someone has made up a adjustable throttle link, only my opinion though. Ill be back home in a couple of days and get a photo of my J governor linkage for you. That's a early model also it seems there are still some secrets these old engines have to give up. Have you pulled your engine down yet? How is the condition inside?
Regards Steve
Old 17-07-16, 06:41 AM   #17
pascal22

Hi steve,

For this pulley system, i think it's very well thinking and very well made.
I think that I shall keep it, that will do a J difference.
I have not opened her yet I clean everything to see quite clearly and to no make mistake.
For the moment I can only see the rusted crank-pin and the two valves are worn.
There's also a bird's nest at the bottom of the crankcase
And lacks many parts...

Nice sunday

Pascal
Old 17-07-16, 09:27 PM   #18
Scott

Hello all
This may well have been one of the notorious sliding cam governor engines originally. A lot of those were returned around that period.

What number is on your magneto bracket Steve?

I have a couple of sets of flywheels. I'll see what the casting numbers and serial numbers on them later when it's light.

It seems Lister did do some 'repairs' to engines and then sent them away. David notes one or two examples in his book.
It seems the English had a habit of sending their 'problems' away to the colonies. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thinking. A few of my ancestors were such 'problems'.

Cheers Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-16, 11:10 PM   #19
Numpty

Interesting to see that Pascals 1912 engine on the other 'J' thread has the later flywheels with the weight bridging a spoke.

Mark
Old 18-07-16, 12:53 AM   #20
stevecraig
Forum Light User

Good point Scott I'll look tonight, also marks note on pascals thread "early lister J" with flyweights either side of the spoke ,his centre hub looks to be the conventional type , my J (no 3501) with flyweight in between spokes has a teardrop shape with the centre pointing to the keyway.