UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister L

Old 15-06-16, 07:10 PM   #1
Lord Unstone

Default It works!

I bought some of the fuel tank sealer from Frost ART, and having cleaned the tank out with gravel, coated the inside. Meanwhile, the workshop manual arrived, from which I am learning a lot, and today, the new fuel filter arrived. So, the tank replaced and filled, turned the engine over a few times, and it started beautifully! Not smokey, sounds great. I have a trolley for it, so can move it around the garage.
Next problem, sorry "learning opportunity" .... is to discover how to keep a leather drive belt from falling off, but I reckon this is simply (ha ha) a matter of lining up the pulleys accurately.

So, I can have happy dreams tonight!
Old 15-06-16, 08:08 PM   #2
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Unstone View Post
(snip) turned the engine over a few times, and it started beautifully! Not smokey, sounds great.
Nice feeling isn't it.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 08:14 PM   #3
pulsechoes

Always makes me smile, the mention of "Frosts Auto Restoration Techniques"!!
Years ago there was a Travel Agents in the Lancashire area apparently called "Stuart Hall International Travel"!!!
Old 15-06-16, 08:33 PM   #4
john kyte

is to discover how to keep a leather drive belt from falling off, but I reckon this is simply (ha ha) a matter of lining up the pulleys accurately.

The best way to keep the belt on the pulley is to make sure at least one of the pulleys has a crown---that means the diameter of the pulley is more in the centre than that of each side
john kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 10:27 PM   #5
slatteybarn

Percerverence(ha ha) will keep the belt on,just keep moving one end of the trolley left or right untill the belt stays put,it amazes me how some of mine stay put at times,I had a vee belt running inside out on a flat pulley by just half the width of the vee.my big 6inch belt on the traction engine and crusher flaps about but stays on,
If the belt is slipping under load put some steam cylinder oil on the belt,it's sticky as hell.
A crowned pulley will help but just keep adjusting the trolley and it will stay put eventualy
Regards
Phil
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 10:48 PM   #6
Lord Unstone

Thanks, will persevere.
Now that it's running, I am optimistic enough to work on my Petter Maclaren.