UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section

Old 25-11-15, 10:53 PM   #1
slatteybarn

Default Gdsf 2016

Just been made aware that Gdsf have moved next years rally date to the bank holiday week end,
Not the best news?it could well effect a lot of local show attendances,I know a lot of people use local shows as a stop off on the way to gdsf.
Regards
Phil.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 12:00 AM   #2
passerby

looking at the Facebook page, There are a LOT of people very unhappy with the decision. Personally we stopped going years ago when it was apparent that it was turning into a cash cow for the Olivers
passerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 12:03 AM   #3
panhandle
Forum Supporter 2013

Great news, a brave but sensible decision, hope we can get on site the previous weekend, will have to wait and see. Sent a personal to Martin, I'm getting excited already.
Bob.
panhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 12:09 AM   #4
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

A small bank holiday show that I used to attend was used by some as a 'halfway stop' prior to Dorset so it will possibly affect that one, also some shows the following week for folk returning. It wont affect me personally though.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 10:52 AM   #5
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

It's a shame they didn't do this years ago as my boys were at school when GDSF was on so it was only when they left that I could become an exhibitor. However the news has already caused us a problem as the wife had already booked off the dates (NHS) and because of the Monday she has to swap shifts - NHS holidays are Sunday to Sunday.

Locally, I suspect Honiton Hill is going to be furious. Although I have never been, a lot of SW people go to HH as it is on the way to GD.

Also, i'm not convinced it's a good idea anyway simply because the amount of traffic getting out on the Sunday takes hours so add that to bank holiday volume, it's going to be a very late drive home. Families wanting to get back home early to get their kids back to school on the Tuesday just isn't going to stay on the Monday.
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-15, 08:37 PM   #6
JamesB

Gauging from some of the traction engine owners we are not the only ones not too happy with the swap but if its the only way forward then they've got to do it.
My understanding is that they've tried moving it backwards before with little success however one benefit for us all is that the Sunday half day i thought to be eliminated.
Old 26-11-15, 09:07 PM   #7
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Gauging from some of the traction engine owners we are not the only ones not too happy with the swap but if its the only way forward then they've got to do it.
My understanding is that they've tried moving it backwards before with little success however one benefit for us all is that the Sunday half day i thought to be eliminated.
The problem is that it will just lead to an even bigger backlog of stuff trying to get out at 5pm on the Monday, than we had this year on the Sunday as there will be even more public to contend with come leaving time, plus all the usual bank holiday traffic on the road.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 05:38 PM   #8
panhandle
Forum Supporter 2013

Received a detailed letter from the GDSF explaining the decision to change the date for 2016 and the foreseeable future. I'm sure someone told me that a calendar runs on a 7 year cycle so, things go out of sync and back again, I work in a school and the term/ half term period do seem to vary.
Bob.
panhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 07:53 PM   #9
Lister M

Got the same letter today, it presents me with a problem which is that will work allow me three straight weeks holidays as my Son in Law, Brother and I are going to the Goodwood Revival on the 9,10 and 11th of September.
Old 06-12-15, 04:19 PM   #10
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

I thought 2015 was brilliant, could actually move down the food tent and the beer tents and around the fair.

I will have to miss yesterdays farming next year then as I normally do Purbeck, YF, then GDSF but will all be a bit close

Personally I think it has got too busy for its own good in recent years, just try getting into the real ale tent etc at night