UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 10-08-15, 06:59 PM   #11
kevjankie

Thanks for the replies martin & jules , here is a photo of the spec plate, I took it off to see if there was any blue paint under it, but only rust.. Also the same No on both flywheels..

Last edited by kevjankie; 10-08-15 at 07:03 PM. Reason: photo
kevjankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 08:10 PM   #12
'A' Lister

I was wondering if it might have been ex-RAF airfield fuel or water bowser engine (Spec A27 and A28S engines were used for that purpose), in which case the blue could have been from a repaint during its time with the RAF.

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth contacting David Edgington (a Forum search should find his contact details) and sending him that photo of the spec plate (or the details from it), as he has the Lister factory records and can probably tell you who it was first supplied to.

That info might possibly help explain the blue paint in the hopper (if, say, the engine went to be fitted to some piece of plant or equipment that was blue). However, as you've not found any blue elsewhere on the outside of your engine, the inside of the hopper was probably just painted blue by a previous stationary engine enthusiast, as per the red/maroon flywheels?

Keep us posted if you get to know who your engine first went to, it's always interesting to find out.
Old 18-01-16, 05:49 PM   #13
kevjankie

Need a bit more advice, I am trying to get the brass valve plugs out , I have managed to get one of them out with a fight but the other one wont budge, I have tried a bit of heat on it but not to sure on how much? being cast and brass together, any help would be very much appreciated

Old 18-01-16, 07:35 PM   #14
'A' Lister

What are you using to try to undo them?
Old 18-01-16, 08:40 PM   #15
kevjankie

Hi jules , thanks for the reply. I was using a 1"square steel bar a pipe wrench which I broke and a scaffold bar, and it never moved, so not sure what to do now.

Old 18-01-16, 08:45 PM   #16
Lister M

To get mine out I built a small fire in the hopper and kept feeding it to get the metal hot and then the bungs released, dont quench the hopper with water as it will crack, just let it cool slowly.

Martin P
Old 18-01-16, 08:54 PM   #17
kevjankie

Thanks martin, that will have to be my next step then, would it be best to screw the other cap in slightly before I build the fire ?..
Old 18-01-16, 09:31 PM   #18
Lister M

Not necessary it will be ok.

Martin P
Old 18-01-16, 10:01 PM   #19
danthetangye

See if you can borrow a 1" drive impact wrench from somewhere. A local truck or plant workshop would be a start. Shocking it rather than applying more torque is more likely to loosen it.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 03:49 PM   #20
kevjankie

I tried the fire in the hopper had it burning for 4 hours and no luck, it even twisted and snapped in half the 1" square bar! it is b***dy tight, even tried my windy gun on it.. so looks like I will have to try and drill it out, but before I do what are the chances of getting hold of another brass bung..?