UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 28-07-15, 07:56 PM   #1
kevjankie

Default Lister A help

Hi all,
picked up a lister a at the weekend with a few problems and I need a little help please, the first thing is the fuel pump was seized but have freed it off and now pumps fuel to the carb, but I noticed it leaks and have no idea why, would any of you chaps know why. many thanks..
kevjankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 08:09 PM   #2
'A' Lister

Where is it leaking from? Is it from one of the fuel pipe joints or is the fuel trickling down the pump body from the top? A photo of the pump so we can tell which model it is would be useful if you can post one on the forum (Lister used two or three slightly different types on the A over its production run)?

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 28-07-15 at 08:14 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 08:30 PM   #3
kevjankie

Hi jules thanks for the quick reply.
Just been out to the garage and took a quick photo of it, it seems to leak out from under the brass cap at the top, there is a number on the side of it which reads A449 hope that's of help ?..

Old 28-07-15, 08:53 PM   #4
'A' Lister

It's the same model pump as fitted to my Lister A. I believe Lister used asbestos string as gland packing to make a fuel-tight seal around the plunger. This tends to dry out over time if the engine is unused, so (if it's not leaking very much?) try putting a few drops of light oil (3 in one type or similar) in one of the holes in the brass cap. Do this a couple of times a week then see if its stopped leaking after a couple of weeks of that. If not, then get back to me on the forum and I'll describe what I did to stop the fuel pump on mine leaking. Hope this is useful.
Old 28-07-15, 09:25 PM   #5
Lister M

Nice to see it has red flywheels, when I bought mine years ago it also had red flywheels so I kept them that colour.
I replaced my seal with an o-ring.

Martin P

Last edited by Lister M; 28-07-15 at 09:27 PM.
Lister M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-15, 07:34 AM   #6
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Both suggestions are correct and will work. Under the brass cap you have a short stubby spring, pressing on a washer, which compresses the gland packing. If the packing has gone hard (quite likely) you can often get it back by soaking it with oil or even paraffin.

It is possible, however, that the plunger has become scored. Mine was badly damaged and I had to make a replacement before the pump would seal.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-15, 07:38 PM   #7
kevjankie

Well, I done both suggestions and guess what, it worked not a drop leaked in two days! so a BIG thank you to all . there are a few more problems with it but I will be back, many thanks..
Old 10-08-15, 07:01 AM   #8
kevjankie

Hi all, I got my lister A up and running at the weekend but when cleaning out the hopper I noticed the inside the colour of the paint looked blue ? would this have been the original colour or am I barking up the wrong tree ? the rest of the engine has been brush painted at some time green.

Old 10-08-15, 07:47 AM   #9
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I don't believe the manufacturer ever painted the inside of the hopper. I suspect it was done during a previous restoration.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 01:31 PM   #10
'A' Lister

Have a look on the serial number plate on your engine, is it a 'Spec A28S 'engine?