UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section

Old 28-02-14, 12:46 PM   #1
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Entry forms, new show requirements

I think this has been mentioned at other rallies, but just received the entry form for Launceston, and they have expressly stated that engines must be pre 1950 and operational.

Should be a great show!!

Terry
Tezfair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 01:00 PM   #2
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

That lets out both of our Rustons then.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 01:27 PM   #3
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Depends if it means pre 1950 in design or manufacture.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 04:00 PM   #4
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
That lets out both of our Rustons then.

Peter
*cough* Entry ticket. *cough*

Mr Y

Old 28-02-14, 06:40 PM   #5
JamesB

Sadly I was an "entry ticket" engine last year at this rally! But that was due to safety reasons which where that the engine ran away quite often and after having two inch flames coming out the exhaust after it ran away about 5 days before, I was effectively scared sh**less. (Looking back I should not have took it really)
So I went to the rally and ran it a once an hour or so for few minutes, which wasnt really ideal but Oh well. Then on the second day I bought a vintage lathe that we hooked up to Henry's D type and were turning random sticks and bit of wood which was great fun with many people looking and some stopping and asking for information. It may have kinda balanced out the fact that I had and entry ticket engine but I didn't chose to do that it was just for the publics safety.
Anyway to cut a long story short my D type is 1955 and is part of quite a nice setup which was the last engine running at Torbay rally so is it worth me attaching this photo and just either forget the age of it or mention it and apologise. Since I belive its quite a nice set up specially if it has either the vacuum pump or lathe attached

So there it is what do you think I should do since I don't perticularly mind missing it since I don't actually have a free weekend in may?

Last edited by JamesB; 28-02-14 at 06:43 PM.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 07:14 PM   #6
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Well if you don't mind missing it then stay away, especially as you are not REALLY available anyway! Or am I missing something obvious?

I exhibit at an event that states engines must be pre 1940 so I phoned the organizer to see if my 1944 PT was acceptable, not a problem he said so I go each year now.

Pete.

Last edited by Windrush; 28-02-14 at 07:17 PM.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 07:23 PM   #7
'A' Lister

Don't worry about the entry ticket comment James, I was just teasing Peter!

I think honesty is perhaps the best policy with your engine. If you really want to go then I'd be tempted to write to the stationary engine section contact on the entry form ASAP and ask him if you can bring your Lister D along. If you enclose a nice photo of your engine exhibit and explain the engine type was designed well before 1950 (dating from 1926), and explain that you are a young enthusiast, then perhaps you might be in with a chance?

Keep the letter short and polite and don't forget a stamped, self-addressed envelope for them to reply to you. If you do get accepted then be sure to work hard and put on a nice show for them. Best of luck... failing that, why not enjoy a weekend off and go as a spectator and take your camera instead?
Old 28-02-14, 07:30 PM   #8
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

Launceston is a 3 dayer and quite a large one for us. I would put it down as 1950 and make a new sign up

I will be in the same boat with the startomatic as its 1956, but being big and interesting it would be a shame to see it banned.

I expect there will be exceptions but I suspect it's down to keep 1960+ japs away.
Tezfair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-14, 07:44 PM   #9
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

Id just tweak my year of manufacture slightly and press on
Old 28-02-14, 07:45 PM   #10
JamesB

I think I will probably give it ago and just admit to them with your excuse Jules. Also don't worry about the entry ticket comment its just that technically I was one! I will ask parental management first and if they moan about me doing too much stuff then I guess I will have to go along with it! Since they will have to spent the whole of mays weekends ferrying me around!
Many thanks James