UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 01-10-13, 10:34 PM   #1
Appletop

Default Removing seized pipe and plugs (water not spark)

See on here from time to time people asking how to remove a seized pipe from an exhaust or pump, bellow is a step by step guide for pipe.

1. Remove as much of the pipe as you can but leave a little standing proud if possible to allow removal.

2. With a hacksaw blade cut a slit down the inside of the pipe, not to deep as you want to cut the pipe and not the thread in what the pipe is stuck in.

3. With a punch or small chisel gently tap the sides of the pipe inwards.

4. This will break the seal of the rust/tape that is holding the pipe in, the more you tap in the easier to wind the pipe out.

5. Pipe should unscrew with no problems.

On smaller pipe it can be better to put 2 or 3 slits in at different places and then use the punch to collapse the pipe in that way.

Hollow Plugs.

1. With hollow plugs or any male iron fitting you need to grind the area flattish first.

2. Then dot punch 3 places and drill 3 holes as big as you can and as close together as possible, this one is a 3/4 plug and the holes are all 3mm.

3. Small punch or chisel to collapse the fitting inwards.

4. Because the plug is soft they split easy and there is no need to use a hacksaw to slit them.

5. All out.

If the plug is a solid one then you need to drill out as much as you can first, then follow the steps for pipe removal.

It took longer to upload the photos and write this than it did to remove 2 plugs from my water pump tonight, that's how easy it is.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 11:39 PM   #2
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

An excellent HowTo - thanks very much!

Steve.
Old 02-10-13, 09:21 AM   #3
'A' Lister

A really useful photo-story there Rob, just the right length and not too long-winded.

Maybe we could have a 'How it's done' photo section on the Forum, so we could build up a library of photo instruction threads under sub-topics such as 'Removing a broken stud', etc. This could build up into a really useful series, especially for newcomers to 'back-street mechanicing' (as Fred Dibnah used to call it).

I've just fitted new gland packing to a Lister H2 pump I'm restoring (nearly there now!); if we'd had a section like that I'd have taken some photos and posted them.
Old 02-10-13, 12:59 PM   #4
Appletop

Think you will find we have a section for that Jules, it's called "Tricks of the trade"....

Old 02-10-13, 03:12 PM   #5
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
Think you will find we have a section for that Jules, it's called "Tricks of the trade"....
OK, Mr Picky! I was actually thinking about a specific 'photo-story' type sub-folder under the Tricks of the Trade section.

Now you've set the standard, I'm sure more will follow and it would be nice if they were bundled together for ease of reference.
Old 02-10-13, 03:35 PM   #6
Appletop

I sort of got what you was getting at Jules, yes it would be handy for some of the new bloods to have something like this I agree and the amount of times I have seen this asked on here and other forums I thought I'd post some photos as the pump I am doing at the moment had 2 plugs and 2 bits of pipe to get out, ideal time to do it I reckon.

Old 02-10-13, 05:45 PM   #7
jmcgrath

Thumbs up

Thank you for that. I need to get out the exhaust pipe out the Ruston & Hornsby 8PB
Old 02-10-13, 07:46 PM   #8
Blakey.dog
Forum Supporter 2013

This is just the sort of information that I will no doubt find very useful on future projects, thanks for that, George.
Blakey.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 12:08 PM   #9
engine junkie

Ahh a man after my own heart here done this many many times .#
And also the elf and safety boys will be glad you wore those latex gloves
engine junkie is offline   Reply With Quote