UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 22-10-07, 11:29 AM   #11
jemglen

Well, I just provided the tip, I don't pretend to know why it works! :confused:

It was given to me by a chap whose Ebay name is Moggiedude, I believe some of you here have had dealings with him?

Very nice chap, knowledgeable about engines and has a really nice collection. A real hands-on engineer as well. He was going to part-ex my ML for a reverse rotation Hovis (a common enough period swap on Lister As) but suggested I tried the reverse spin trick first.

Apparently, if it works, it works (though of course, yes, at some point in the future it will break down again, but then that's true of any mag) and the problem's solved.

My take on this is: if it's simply putting off the inevitable...well, at least you know the mag is not beyond reasonable repair.

Jerry
jemglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-07, 06:20 PM   #12
buzzy bee
Admin Team

Hi

I think that everyone has usefull experiences, older members have had alot more time to pick things up and it is vital you speak out and share all the information you can with the next generation. It is all to common for so much knoledge to be lost over time.

The younger members are also able to offer their oppinions, that is what is so good about this forum and a few others I comment on, that no matter the age we can get on, and share experience within a simmilar area of interest, old engines etc.

Well ther it is, my view for what it is worth!

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 10:48 AM   #13
dgosden

Default Suffolk 75G14 6A - Ign Capacitor

This engine has an unmarked coil (some Suffolks use WIPAC mags) and the markings on the capacitor are worn or aged off so no idea what the value (microFarads) might be but I do know it's 500v DC rated.

Anyone know its capacitance or have a drawing of this magneto? I suspect it's a straight auto transformer of the usual variety. The contact breaker points gap is marked on the engine, so no problems there.

Thanks.

David G
Old 02-11-07, 07:30 PM   #14
greasemonkey
Forum Light User

I like buzzy bee's comment and agree with it, I also agree with Hobbs Engine - get the mag done professionally and spend your time restoring the main lump properly. Far less frustrating and far more satisfying! (IMHO)
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 09:54 AM   #15
Paul_Sterling

Smile

just to add my ten pence to this argument, i took a WICO series A (off my A1) that wasnt working, clean and freed off the points and got a weak spark, then tried the reverse spinning with the drill and got a bloody bright spark off it, then added Silicon HT leads and had something more like blackpool illuminations, would recomned this trick to anyone.
Old 09-11-07, 10:23 AM   #16
fowlerfan

Not a mag expert but sounds like something to do with boosting the magnetic flux by running in the opposite direction ?

I would be worried however spinning something old like that in a drill that has run for many years in one direction. Things like fibre cams, carbon brushes might just take fright and disintegrate.

We work on the principle of getting mags rebuilt starting with a good clean and complete magneto. Lucas N1's for example usually need re-magnetised, rewound, new condenser and normally I get a slip ring put in as the original sliprings breakdown over time.

As for Wico A's- I wouldn't consider it worth getting a rebuild, I would rather buy two or three spare mags and build one or two decent ones out of the spares.

Regards
Dave
Old 09-11-07, 01:04 PM   #17
Paul_Sterling

right or wrong, i found the reverse rotation trick worked, and i cant complain about that!
Old 09-11-07, 01:33 PM   #18
dgosden

Default Coil testing

It is worth noting that the only proper test for any wound component is an inductance test.
A conventional DC ohm meter will happily measure resistance but cannot detect a shorted turn in any of the windings.

One or more shorted turns will prevent magnetic flux being produced either in the primary winding or the secondary (hv) winding.

David G
Old 09-11-07, 01:46 PM   #19
The wild eye
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Location: In your fridge turning the light off when you close the door

I was allways under the impression that spinning a magneto in any direction at speed without anywhere for the spark to go is bad for the coil .

Looking at Roland's test results seems to uphold this theory .

So spin your mags at your own pockets risk

Steve
Old 09-11-07, 02:34 PM   #20
jemglen

Well, I apologise for giving anyone a bum steer with this 'tip'!

Being a novice I took the advice of someone who seemed to know a thing or two, tried out his advice on my own non-working mag and Hey Presto! it worked (and is still working BTW, though I'm assuming a fatal breakdown is coming any time now...).

So here's my latest (ahem) tip: DO NOT SPIN YOUR MAGS IN REVERSE.

Tip to self: do not listen to any other 'tips' that would appear to produce their results deus ex machina…

Jerry
jemglen is offline   Reply With Quote