UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 23-01-13, 12:22 AM   #11
RobSmith
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
What a great way to get kids interested in engines at an early age good luck and dont forget to make it fun
Yes,

It needs to drive a rock crusher, can squasher, log splitter or something that generally destroys something else .... they like that

Rob
RobSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-13, 01:46 AM   #12
engine junkie

Go for it mate im sure the kids will love it .take a water pump so they can see it in action kids love water.
engine junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-13, 10:51 AM   #13
novo

I took my sludge pump to a show in a local park (new show 1st of many i hope) & i was surprised at the interest the little kids showed. One kept bringing his dad back to look again. He must have stood in front of it for 1/2 an hour,& it was raining. (his dad didnt seem so enchanted) The litte lad told his dad he wants one like that. I cut fish shapes out of thin red plastic & put them in the tank. You should see the kids & (adults)faces when a fish swims by.
Old 23-01-13, 10:56 AM   #14
Andy B
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
I took my sludge pump to a show in a local park (new show 1st of many i hope) & i was surprised at the interest the little kids showed. One kept bringing his dad back to look again. He must have stood in front of it for 1/2 an hour,& it was raining. (his dad didnt seem so enchanted) The litte lad told his dad he wants one like that. I cut fish shapes out of thin red plastic & put them in the tank. You should see the kids & (adults)faces when a fish swims by.
I know what you mean. Alexander LOVES to see the sludge pumps, especially if he manages to get a little splashed.
I don't have anything go run from the engine, but thinking about it, it may be safer perhaps?
Old 23-01-13, 11:12 AM   #15
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I know what you mean. Alexander LOVES to see the sludge pumps, especially if he manages to get a little splashed.
I don't have anything go run from the engine, but thinking about it, it may be safer perhaps?
You're probably right there. A physical barrier of some sort is essential with little kids too. (theres always one that gets where he shouldn't.)
Old 24-01-13, 12:35 PM   #16
Andy B
Forum Supporter 2013

Insurance card arrived today!
Thanks Peter for sorting it all out so quickly.
I will try and have a word with one of the teachers later at picking up time regarding having the engine 'running'.

Andy
Old 25-01-13, 03:32 PM   #17
Dazzla

We used to loan engines to my old school for art classes. It was interesting to see that very few drew/painted the whole thing with the majority of students choosing to detail a specific area. One of my favourites was of a vase of flowers that was behind the engine, framed by two spokes and the rim of an Amanco flywheel.

Dazzla
Old 25-01-13, 05:59 PM   #18
novo

I had a teacher approach me at a rally last year after looking at my Villiers mk40 cutaway engine. He said "thats just what we need in the science room to teach the kids about engines" I was tempted to tell him that i'd do one for him but when i considered the hours of work involved i didn't offer. The trouble is if you make or donate things to schools etc, you're never sure that it won't be sold or thrown away. I gave a local scout troop a small cutaway engine to use in their "mechanics badge training" Not long after i saw it for sale at Barleylands.

Last edited by novo; 25-01-13 at 06:06 PM.
novo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-13, 10:39 AM   #19
Listermaniac
Banned

That sounds like a nice idea. Certainly more interisting that knitting.

Just fingers crossed the master isn't a H&S nut. Could see it happening.
Listermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-13, 01:12 PM   #20
Combustor

Default Getting their attention.

Guy on an American forum took his old engine to rallies belted up to a vintage ice cream freezer. Says the kids paid that LOTS of attention.
Combustor.