UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 22-01-13, 11:08 AM   #1
Andy B
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Infants school 'show and tell'

Hi,
On February 8th, my sons infants school has a 'show and tell' day. This is when if any of the children or adults/grandparents has a interesting hobby, they can take them into school. The school sets out desks, areas, etc for displaying them on.
I have never exhibited.
My wife has mentioned it during a meeting at the school about our engines, and the teacher got very exited, as it was a bit more interesting than 'my granny knits scarves' hobbies.
I will have a natter with the teachers regarding health and safety, and if one of our engines could actually be ran.
The teachers apparently take a group of children around to each 'hobby' for a little talk on them.
Peter, I have just sent a paypal payment regarding insurance. I thought I had better have some, seeing an engine will be leaving the 'safety' of my man cave/garage.

Any hints, as I have never 'showed' before, especially to 4-7 year olds. <<<JUST READ BACK, AND THIS SOUNDS SO,SO WRONG !!!!

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Andy B; 22-01-13 at 11:23 AM. Reason: sounds awful
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 11:21 AM   #2
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Card will be with you by the weekend, subject to the weather.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 11:23 AM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Keep it simple, have some pictures or information boards, make sure that the teacher in charge of the kids is fully aware of the dangers, try and organise some physical barriers if possible, kids fall over when they are jostling for a better view.

Have a Q&A session afterwards with the engine stopped.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 11:29 AM   #4
novo

Sound like a great idea. I've asked at local schools if they'd like some tractors/engines from our club for their summer fete's. Trouble is i can never find anyone that can say yes or no.
Old 22-01-13, 06:56 PM   #5
Abes

What a great way to get kids interested in engines at an early age good luck and dont forget to make it fun
Old 22-01-13, 08:04 PM   #6
sidevalve

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
What a great way to get kids interested in engines at an early age good luck and dont forget to make it fun
+1 for that. Remember most kids have a tiny attention span so you'll have to make sure the engine is doing something interesting. After all, at that age they don't want a history lesson, just something to spark their interest. The reality of what these engines did can come later. Don't forget to mention the wartime farm prog, some of them may have watched it.
sidevalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 08:15 PM   #7
Andy B
Forum Supporter 2013

I will have a tub of engine bits for them to look at also (spark plugs, pistons, valves (all the biggest I have for more impact)). Its a pity I don't have anything to drive yet, as it would be a little more interesting ( my bloomin great big corn mill is a little too large me thinks!!).
I will take a few photos of our engines (I have told Alexander that half of each of daddies engines is his!) and just have the name, date and use in plain terms.
On the subject of age, does anybody know if David Edgington gives 'the history' of Listers via email, or does he prefer/find that the more personal 'letter' is a better approach. We have a Lister A at home it would be nice to include the history of.
The engine we would probably be taking is a Amanco that I was lucky enough to buy from one of the forum members, as it is our oldest, and certainly most interesting of engines.

[IMG][/IMG]

Getting a little excited now to be honest!!

Andy

Last edited by Andy B; 22-01-13 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding image
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13, 08:26 PM   #8
Headless

David responds to emails just as easily as snail mail.
Old 22-01-13, 11:29 PM   #9
casper
Forum Supporter 2012

I work in a Primary School, but I wondered whether the club insurance would cover the engines on a school visit?
You know what insurance companies can be like.
Old 22-01-13, 11:46 PM   #10
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I work in a Primary School, but I wondered whether the club insurance would cover the engines on a school visit?
You know what insurance companies can be like.
Our club insurance (5,000,000) will cover it. It is after all still a public event.