UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 04-01-13, 10:38 PM   #1
110samec

Default Stripping paint

I know a lot of the folks on here have trouble with getting the new formula nitromors to actually work. Well, as you may know I'm currently doing up my old landy and have reached the stage where we have to strip the thick layers of hammerite of the chassis. First we tried some of the new formula nitromors and that wouldn't touch the paint at all and we were very disappointed with it.

Secondly we had a bit of dot 4 brake fluid left in a bottle. About half a cup full of that was painted over the rear axle and about a third of the chassis and within around 10-15 minutes the paint was starting to come off in strips, its rerally effective at stripping paint, even thick stuff. So if your struggling to remove thick paint with nitromors, try some brake fluid, it goes much further than nitromors too and probably works out much cheaper.

Just thought I'd add my own experience and see if it could possibly help anyone,
Sam
Old 05-01-13, 11:21 AM   #2
novo

Not a bad idea sam. Might be handy for those small parts too. I've just used cellulose thinners to strip the paint off my fowler radiator parts, works quite well.
Old 05-01-13, 01:21 PM   #3
Leader400
Forum Supporter 2013

Used to be a trick that car theives pulled if your alarm beat them, pour it over your car it retaliation. Long been known as a very effecive paint stripper. I have a feeling that the clean up after use so that you can repaint isn't straight forward either.

Tony
Leader400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 06:21 PM   #4
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader400 View Post
Used to be a trick that car theives pulled if your alarm beat them, pour it over your car it retaliation. Long been known as a very effecive paint stripper. I have a feeling that the clean up after use so that you can repaint isn't straight forward either.

Tony
I've got some sulphuric acid that i'd like to pour over those low life scum.
Old 05-01-13, 07:11 PM   #5
Leader400
Forum Supporter 2013

My sister-in-law had another idea involving rusty scissors and a chaps sensitive parts.... when some kind soul slashed the roof on her MX5 (to be beaten by the immobiliser that she had fitted..... ) and then covered the car with brake fluid.

Tony
Leader400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 08:05 PM   #6
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader400 View Post
My sister-in-law had another idea involving rusty scissors and a chaps sensitive parts.... when some kind soul slashed the roof on her MX5 (to be beaten by the immobiliser that she had fitted..... ) and then covered the car with brake fluid.

Tony
At least the scum didn't get the car.
Old 06-01-13, 01:13 AM   #7
spannerboy
Forum Light User

have to be careful with the brake fluid although its a great paint stripper it tends to get into the metal & can lift the paint from underneath just when u think u have a nice new paint job !
spannerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 01:46 AM   #8
miller
Forum Supporter 2013

Back to paint stripping and not testicle removal with rusty scissors or skin removal with acid.

There is a product I use here called Diggers paint stripper it is pretty nasty stuff as splashes burn the skin in seconds but it sure lifts paint

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diggers Paint Stripper.jpg (197.3 KB, 26 views)
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 10:46 AM   #9
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Back to paint stripping and not testicle removal with rusty scissors or skin removal with acid.

Dave
Everyone should have a hobby
Old 06-01-13, 12:39 PM   #10
jwilsonjnr

In reply to the retaliation part of this thread i've been told oven cleaner is superb, even comes in a handy aerosol and avaliable in most shops.
jwilsonjnr is offline   Reply With Quote