UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 09-11-12, 06:28 PM   #11
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

Is this a condition of the insurance scheme Peter?
Old 09-11-12, 08:34 PM   #12
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgecutler View Post
Is this a condition of the insurance scheme Peter?
No, Jamie, just a common-sense precaution.

I've not seen a fire on an engine at a show, ever, although I'm sure they must happen.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:05 PM   #13
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
No, Jamie, just a common-sense precaution.

I've not seen a fire on an engine at a show, ever, although I'm sure they must happen.

Peter
I certainly didn't see any engine fires at rallies this year, with the weather the way it was! Joking apart, it's a good idea, I've got a car-sized extinguisher knocking about somewhere so I'll probably stick that in my 'rally tool box' ready for next season. Oh, and some tinfoil and baking potatoes in case all else fails... Well, home-cooked hot meals can be hard to come by for us engine-men who have to 'rough it' in tents!
Old 09-11-12, 09:45 PM   #14
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Well, home-cooked hot meals can be hard to come by for us engine-men who have to 'rough it' in tents!
We've camped a lot over the years, up to quite recently as well, but there came a time when both of us wanted some creature comforts which would allow us to take a long weekend at a rally or show and not have to rush home to have a decent shower

Now we have the trailer sorted out, we can make the most of shows and be comfortable. We can also put others up in the back of the trailer should the weather turn really nasty, which has happened to us a few times.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 11:01 PM   #15
'A' Lister

I don't blame you Peter, a night or two under canvas is OK if the weather is good, but it does lack the creature comforts of a caravan. Fortunately, I decided to invest in a new tent the week before this year's 1000 Engine Rally, going for a 'Duke of Edinburgh's Award' spec one.

Given the somewhat damp conditions that prevailed overnight I'm rather glad I did! Not a drop of water got through... so if it can stand that, hopefully I shouldn't be found scratching at the door of your trailer to be let in for a few more years yet!
Old 10-11-12, 11:11 AM   #16
Combustor

Default Fire precautions

We Aussies have a greater fire problem in our hotter and drier country. Our National Historic Machinery Association states in its Rally Guidelines that an approved fire extinguisher and First Aid Kit must be present in each engine compound, along with an NHMA incident report form. Local authorities also have the power to ban all off road engine use, welding, grinding etc. on high fire hazard days.
We tend to schedule major shows in seasons when risk is lower, and locate rallies where surroundings are more fire safe. Don't want to set the country ablaze. It's far too easy to do here at times.
Nearly burned the first old engine that I rescued years ago. An under-mounted carby flooded over un-noticed, and then a backfire lit the pool of fuel we were almost standing in. Lucky we were on an open concrete floor, so could shut off fuel and drag the engine clear while the fuel burned out. Definitely had the extinguisher at the ready on the next starting attempt.
Combustor.
Old 10-11-12, 01:35 PM   #17
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combustor View Post
We Aussies have a greater fire problem in our hotter and drier country. Our National Historic Machinery Association states in its Rally Guidelines that an approved fire extinguisher and First Aid Kit must be present in each engine compound, along with an NHMA incident report form. Local authorities also have the power to ban all off road engine use, welding, grinding etc. on high fire hazard days.
I guess you heard about the roleytone bushfire last year. Started 500meters up the road from my house. I was at the beach for my daughters birthday and got an sms from FESA that my house was about to impacted by fire and to evacuate. Wind took it away from my house. Started by a guy using an angle grinder on his trailer. Total fire ban he was not aloud to do that, burnt down 75 houses. They managed to save a group of local shops, as irony would have it they burnt down a couple of months ago from an electrical fault! I helped fight a big fire years ago and experienced a fire storm, something i will never forget for the rest of my life. The roar was deafening, ground was shaking and fire balls going over our heads. The fire jumped over our heads from 300 meters in front of us and all the bush 400 meters behind us was ablaze. Spot fires all over the place but we saved all property. Worst part was the fire traveled so fast the animals couldn't shelter and the next day we found dead animals everywhere, mainly goanna's.
Old 10-11-12, 02:38 PM   #18
Leader400
Forum Supporter 2013

And we think that we have bad moorland fires, when some moron lights a BBQ, mind you it would have been impossible this year to have a moorland fire thanks to the weather.

Tony

Last edited by Leader400; 10-11-12 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Leader400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 03:00 PM   #19
jay
Forum Supporter 2011

there was a very small fire at a rally near me but was caused by petrol coming of of the carb of a very flooded petter A going over the mag( the lead was sparking as it touched the block) this make the fuel ignite but owner blew the fire out( very lucky as well) and he did sort the plug lead before trying to start again..
Old 10-11-12, 03:23 PM   #20
engine lover

Looks like the most engines that develped fire are petrol ones!!!!