UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 09-11-12, 01:12 PM   #1
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Default Fire Extinguishers

Just a reminder that everyone should have at least one working extinguisher at hand when working on or running engines.

Nobody expects to have a fire, but it can be very sudden and you can lose a lot of kit, or worse, if you cannot suppress it quickly.

We've just had all the extinguishers renewed at the factory, 5 yrs and that's their life, so a couple of the 2kg powder type will migrate to the trailer, to join the 2 new ones already in there.

Prices vry, we've seen 15 for a new 2kg powder extinguisher on the web, but 25 is more typical.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 01:40 PM   #2
villiers24
Forum Supporter 2012

I've had a lister d set on fire before but luckily enough I managed to get a bucket of water fast. It was quiet scary and unexpected. Will have to put a extinguisher on the list. Better to be safe than sorry !!
villiers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 01:53 PM   #3
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

Dangerous to chuck water on an engine fire, just ask my brother in law. Turned into one very big fire!!
Old 09-11-12, 02:15 PM   #4
villiers24
Forum Supporter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karragullengine View Post
Dangerous to chuck water on an engine fire, just ask my brother in law. Turned into one very big fire!!
It wasn't a bad one the just fuel from the carb caught as it's quite close to the exhaust. Was put out very swiftly with a bucket of water and it still works ok. Hopefully it won't happen again, and your advice is taken on board if there is a next time
villiers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 02:51 PM   #5
chyangwel
Forum Supporter 2013

I'm a trained fire warden for work and the first rule is don't put yourself or any other persons in danger, better to let it burn if everyone is safe. You can always get another engine but not another life.

Be Safe
chyangwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 03:01 PM   #6
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by villiers24 View Post
It wasn't a bad one the just fuel from the carb caught as it's quite close to the exhaust. Was put out very swiftly with a bucket of water and it still works ok. Hopefully it won't happen again, and your advice is taken on board if there is a next time
Well i should elaborate, his engine was running an hydraulic pump, they through water on the engine when it caught fire but this only spread the fire as the oil and petrol stay on top of the water burning. Then the hoses caught fire, so more water went on making a bigger fire. By then two extinguishers arrived and where emptied which brought the fire under control....then as no more extinguishers more water went on to finish it off....back to square one, then burnt through the hoses and a hundred or so litres of hydraulic oil. Best thing then is to stand back with a packet of marsmallows, might taste a little funy though. A while later he had rebuilt the whole machine and you would never know it had been burnt. Best to get dry powder or co2 extinguishers. I like the powder ones, make a mess but easy to use and safe.
Old 09-11-12, 03:43 PM   #7
novo

Good point Peter. I never considered taking an extiguisher to a rally.
Old 09-11-12, 04:01 PM   #8
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by villiers24 View Post
I've had a lister d set on fire before but luckily enough I managed to get a bucket of water fast. It was quiet scary and unexpected. Will have to put a extinguisher on the list. Better to be safe than sorry !!
Water and Oil BIG NO NO, You will just spread the fire and make it worse for yourself.

Ollie
Old 09-11-12, 04:54 PM   #9
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

We put two new extinguishers and a fire blanket into the trailer last year, but they are too small for anything serious, so the addition of a 2kg powder unit will bolster what we already have, and at zero cost, which is the important thing.

It's the sort with a pressure gauge on so we can monitor its condition.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 05:39 PM   #10
steve-v12
Forum Supporter 2011

We had our fire extinguishers renewed at work recently so I acquired a co2 and foam extinguisher for the trailer, I could have got a powder one but the mess they make when discharged is horrendous especially in a confined space lol
Steve :)
steve-v12 is offline   Reply With Quote