UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 22-09-12, 07:50 PM   #1
HenryB
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Coil and battery ignition

Hi all,
I've alway heard people talking about using a battery and coil for their engine ignition. What does this mean and what is it an alternative for?

Henry
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-12, 07:56 PM   #2
jay
Forum Supporter 2011

This is usually due to the coil in the mag not working, you use the points in the mag and wire a car 12volt coil inline with the wire going to the points and a car battery as a source of power(the mag windings would normally make the power)I did this to my first lister d when i was 14 as i never had the funds for a mag for a few years.
Old 22-09-12, 08:43 PM   #3
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
This is usually due to the coil in the mag not working,
Or engines that weren't supplied with with magnetos, often referred to a buzz coil or buzz box.

Cheers Steve
Old 22-09-12, 08:50 PM   #4
smenkhare
Forum Supporter 2011

Usually refers to the system on low tension ignition engines. A coil (often from strip lights) is placed in series with a 12v battery and the opening of the "points" inside the cylinder and connected to the outside of the igniter causes a flame-like spark in the cylinder, igniting the mixture. It is often used to replace a faulty low tension magneto.

Jim.
1957 Lister D, 1951 Stuart Turner R3C with S-T water pump, 1951 Villiers Mk 10 with Alcon pump, Alco Featherweight. 1920(?) Stuart W2. ca.1936 Amanco WC Chore Boy, Sachs KM37 Wankel engine(1972?), Bernard W0, 1938/39, Bernard W2, 1932. Bernard D1
smenkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-12, 09:27 PM   #5
HenryB
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for the responses, i've got a Lister D coming soon, but its a non runner, the magneto might be buggered thats why I'm asking this.

Would this be the cheapest way to make a knock up ignition system for a buggered magneto?

Thanks,
Henry.
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-12, 03:06 PM   #6
smenkhare
Forum Supporter 2011

No, Henry, the Lister D works with a spark plug (High tension ignition). You could use a car ignition coil using the existing the points in the magneto to switch the current through the coil. It would be better to have the mag repaired or look for a replacement, though the used mags you find on the Internet are likely to be faulty too.
Jim.
1957 Lister D, 1951 Stuart Turner R3C with S-T water pump, 1951 Villiers Mk 10 with Alcon pump, Alco Featherweight. 1920(?) Stuart W2. ca.1936 Amanco WC Chore Boy, Sachs KM37 Wankel engine(1972?), Bernard W0, 1938/39, Bernard W2, 1932. Bernard D1
smenkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-12, 08:43 PM   #7
nutgone

I've just been thinking about this today. My little JAP model 3 is nearing the stage where I would like to fire it up, but the mag is buggered. I've been wracking my brains to think where I can lay my hands on a 12v car ignition coil, but the only one I have is on my car (it's a 1980s BMW, so has the old fashioned coil on it). I might just have to "nick it" off the car for a couple of hours one day & see if I can get the engine fired up.

I can't remember which connections go where right now, but it won't take long to find out (I know one side of the coil goes to the battery +ve & the other goes to the points. The engine must also be earthed to the battery -ve).

It's only really ever a temporary solution to the problem of a knackered magneto. My advice would also be to get the mag sorted. Usually it just needs a new coil, which can be bought for the most popular magnetos from eBay on an exchange basis for around 75 - 85.
nutgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-12, 09:11 PM   #8
mo3mini
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutgone View Post
It's only really ever a temporary solution to the problem of a knackered magneto.
The one on my ZZ is a permanent solution for the knackered magneto.. an original 'untested' new old stock coil sells for $100 without the shipping.

If you run the wires carefully you can make it look like the battery and coil ignition isn't there.

I think it all comes down to what you can afford. If my D type coil goes up the blink then it will battery and coil ignition, i simply couldn't afford to have it re-wound

Dan
Old 23-09-12, 10:00 PM   #9
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Iv'e had a quick go here with a Enfield and a 2CV coil:-

http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...t=28402&page=2

Got a few pops from it:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WU3u_Y70_k

Cheers Steve
Old 23-09-17, 09:17 AM   #10
locknut

Hi Steve,
I realise that this is an old post - well ancient really! But I was wondering if you were ever able to get your enfield to run ok with the 2CV coil? I am asking because that is the route I think that I am going to have to take with my unit.
All the best,
Kev.
locknut is offline   Reply With Quote