UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-12, 01:42 PM   #11
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013
 
PuttPuttBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
Don't forget the starting handle!!! I have two Bamfords & when i pack up for a rally the starting handle is always with the one i'm not taking.Good luck with the first rally Exciting stuff.
Up to now I've always started it on the flywheel, but sods law I'll need the handle when the chips are down !
__________________
Mark

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 03:12 PM   #12
Grendel
Forum Supporter 2012
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 800
Default

I am sure that others will help you if you run out of fuel or have a small problem.

Good luck.

Hubert
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 03:14 PM   #13
'A' Lister
Senior Member
 
'A' Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 4,074
Default

Probably a good idea to get there in plenty of time and introduce yourself to the engine steward when you arrive, before you set up. You can explain that it's your first rally and ask all the important questions like how far back from the barriers your engine needs to be, where the water is for topping up, where the toilets are, etc.

Also, you'll probably know this already but don't leave your engine running unattended (even for a few minutes). I've seen this happen occasionally where people don't realise and go off for a wander, so I thought I'd better mention it just in case! We don't want you getting 'drummed out of the brownies' on your fist day! All the best and have a good time
__________________
Jules-
1940 Lister D, 1940 Lister A, 1943 Lister D, Bentall Mk J corn mill, Bamford K1 Rapid Mill, Lister H2 Pump, 12v CAV dynamo.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 03:27 PM   #14
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013
 
skankin_giant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kernow (Cornwall)
Posts: 11,161
Default

Can you now work out fuel consumption roughly? I normally run my engine with a pint of petrol in the tank, and see how long it will run on that, and work from there.

Cheers Steve
__________________
The Wizard from The Lizard
WW1 ABC, Norman SC, Sattley TA, Scott SE, Stuart H1, K, R3 & WD, Teagle B2, Villiers WX11
skankin_giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 05:35 PM   #15
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013
 
PuttPuttBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
Can you now work out fuel consumption roughly? I normally run my engine with a pint of petrol in the tank, and see how long it will run on that, and work from there.

Cheers Steve
Thanks Steve, that's a good idea, I would do, but I've left it a bit late in the day unfortunately, only 10 days until we depart, and not much free time before then I'm afraid.
__________________
Mark

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 05:38 PM   #16
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013
 
PuttPuttBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Probably a good idea to get there in plenty of time and introduce yourself to the engine steward when you arrive, before you set up. You can explain that it's your first rally and ask all the important questions like how far back from the barriers your engine needs to be, where the water is for topping up, where the toilets are, etc.

Also, you'll probably know this already but don't leave your engine running unattended (even for a few minutes). I've seen this happen occasionally where people don't realise and go off for a wander, so I thought I'd better mention it just in case! We don't want you getting 'drummed out of the brownies' on your fist day! All the best and have a good time
I know, I've been trying to train my fairer half on the niceties of LT magnetos, so she can hold the fort if I need to pop off for any reason. I got as far as how to turn off the engine in an emergency, but that's about it.
__________________
Mark

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 06:50 PM   #17
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
 
listerdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPuttBang View Post
Peter what sort of RPM do you run at out of interest, as I imagine that has a bearing on fuel consumption ?
Mark
It's how much work the engine is doing, rather than the speed it runs at, but there is a correlation between engine speed and mechanical losses, especially with air-cooled engines with cooling fans.

The Ruston runs just under 400rpm.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 07:09 PM   #18
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013
 
wolseley phill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Horsebridge, East Sussex "steamwally" on Youtube
Posts: 9,448
Default

The first rally of many I'm sure, enjoy it!

There has already been another thread on what to take to a rally and so on, but might I add... make sure you have a display board out with information on the engine and your name.

I often have things like period oil cans with my engines, but the rest of the clutter I try to keep out of sight.

All the best,

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 07:17 PM   #19
AndrewLincs
Forum Supporter 2011
 
AndrewLincs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cranwell, Lincolnshire
Posts: 785
Default

Hi Mark,

I remember my first rally. My engine (a 6PB) hitched a ride in a friends trailer and had mag problems on the field. But it was a good day and there have been many more since!

I keep my rally kit in a couple of supermarket veg crates, so all I have to do is load them in the car. I have added things as I find I need them and they stay in the crate ready for the next outing.

Good luck, enjoy, and tell us all how you got on...

Regards

Andrew
__________________
Apparently, you can polish a turd ...
AndrewLincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 08:40 PM   #20
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013
 
PuttPuttBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South
Posts: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseley phill View Post
The first rally of many I'm sure, enjoy it!

There has already been another thread on what to take to a rally and so on, but might I add... make sure you have a display board out with information on the engine and your name.

I often have things like period oil cans with my engines, but the rest of the clutter I try to keep out of sight.

All the best,

Phill.
Thanks Phil, I have a display board, and picked up some excellent items at GDSF, including period oil and fuel cans, and can you believe, a genuine Ruston and Hornsby watering can, for filling the hopper. Well, actually it was an old watering can, which I have painted green to match the engine, and am about to put some spare Ruston transfers on, courtesy of Ray Hooley. (pictures to follow)
__________________
Mark

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.