UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 03-09-12, 10:48 AM   #1
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Default My First Rally !

My first rally is coming up, and I'm really excited.

However, can anyone tell me roughly how much fuel I need to take ?

It's a two day event, and I estimate a total of 14 to 16 hours total running time. I have a 3.5hp Ruston and Hornsby AP engine, running on zero load.

I shall be trying to keep the engine running at around 150 - 200 rpm.

I have one nice 10 litre jerry can, but am wondering whether to buy another one ? Or am I miles out. I ran the engine for a couple of hours the other day, and it really seems to use very little fuel. I couldn't tell how much it used because there is no fuel guage (!).

I run on 95 RON unleaded, not paraffin.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS Here is a gratuitous link to a short video of the engine running at 200 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rQc8pmAC59I

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 11:26 AM   #2
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

If you half-fill the engine fuel tank before you travel, you will probably find that you don't even break into the jerry can - take it anyway, of course...

If you were to run out of fuel at your first outing nobody is going to be upset.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 12:36 PM   #3
'A' Lister

Aside from the fuel question, have you drawn up a check list of all the things you'll need to take? Both stuff for the engine and stuff for you. In the excitement of loading up for a rally I find it's easy to forget little things like hand wipes and a towel, bottles of drinking water, my first aid kit (with wasp sting ointment at this time of year!), sun cream (well, you never know!), etc. Going through my check list before I set off has saved me from forgetting stuff on a few occasions (including the drive belt and my deck-chair)!

Most important of all, don't forget to make sure you've got the necessary public liability insurance to exhibit your engine at a show.

Hope you have a great time and welcome to the world of engine rallying.
Old 03-09-12, 12:51 PM   #4
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
If you half-fill the engine fuel tank before you travel, you will probably find that you don't even break into the jerry can - take it anyway, of course...

If you were to run out of fuel at your first outing nobody is going to be upset.

Martin.
Thanks Martin.

I also have 5litres of oil !

All the best

Mark

Old 03-09-12, 12:57 PM   #5
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Aside from the fuel question, have you drawn up a check list of all the things you'll need to take? Both stuff for the engine and stuff for you. In the excitement of loading up for a rally I find it's easy to forget little things like hand wipes and a towel, bottles of drinking water, my first aid kit (with wasp sting ointment at this time of year!), sun cream (well, you never know!), etc. Going through my check list before I set off has saved me from forgetting stuff on a few occasions (including the drive belt and my deck-chair)!

Most important of all, don't forget to make sure you've got the necessary public liability insurance to exhibit your engine at a show.

Hope you have a great time and welcome to the world of engine rallying.
Thanks Jules, that is most helpful. I got my insurance through my local club (5million) because the organisers told me I needed it.

I have a check list, but I'm sure there'll be stuff I'll forget. I have three oil cans and a 25 litre water container, plus an old watering can to fill the hopper. I've even bought a small tent for the deluge.

I do hope there there will be water, as the AP handbook recommends a bucket per hour when running ?? That could be an issue...

Old 03-09-12, 01:05 PM   #6
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The Ruston 1ZHR diesel uses about 2 gallons of diesel a day on 1kW of lighting load.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 01:13 PM   #7
novo

Don't forget the starting handle!!! I have two Bamfords & when i pack up for a rally the starting handle is always with the one i'm not taking.Good luck with the first rally Exciting stuff.
Old 03-09-12, 01:26 PM   #8
novo

Just a thought! If you should run out of fuel or have a breakdown. Put a quick note explaining that you are having problems. That way the public & the organisers know that it's not just an entry ticket engine. Ive had a breakdown on two occasions, its a bit embarrasing. I keep a note saying "sorry but ive had a breakdown,and my engines not very well either" Just in case. It raises a smile & makes for some very pleasant conversations. You meet some lovely people at rallies. Good luck again
Old 03-09-12, 01:39 PM   #9
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
The Ruston 1ZHR diesel uses about 2 gallons of diesel a day on 1kW of lighting load.

Peter
Peter what sort of RPM do you run at out of interest, as I imagine that has a bearing on fuel consumption ?

Mark

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 03-09-12 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 01:41 PM   #10
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
Just a thought! If you should run out of fuel or have a breakdown. Put a quick note explaining that you are having problems. That way the public & the organisers know that it's not just an entry ticket engine. Ive had a breakdown on two occasions, its a bit embarrasing. I keep a note saying "sorry but ive had a breakdown,and my engines not very well either" Just in case. It raises a smile & makes for some very pleasant conversations. You meet some lovely people at rallies. Good luck again
I'd better get a sign ready just in case