UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 15-06-12, 10:52 PM   #11
engine junkie

I seem to remember that mate came in a blue can from memory not seen it for years was some on the farm when I was a kid so it was good for push bikes coz they use it on tractors that was my thoughts them know a bit better now .
As for the atf another use I know of is a couple of mates use it in old cars as an upper cylinder lubricant as apparently you cannot buy the reddex one anymore ? Not sure on that as I have half a bottle and at the rate I use it it will last several years yet.
Now I dont pretend that I know any scientific goods or bads for this use but I am very sure it wont do any harm and may slow any valve seat recession down and indeed have used it a time or two on the d and the wolesey even though they should be ok on unleaded .
engine junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-12, 07:19 AM   #12
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine junkie View Post
...have used it a time or two on the d and the wolesey even though they should be ok on unleaded .
It's not a case of "should be OK on unleaded", they were designed to run on unleaded.

I have heard many times of the use of ATF as an upper cylinder lubricant. I've never seen any evidence that it works, but I can't see that it's likely to do any harm either. Probably not a good idea in a modern car though; no idea what it might do to a cat!

Martin.
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-12, 09:39 AM   #13
pulsechoes

Probably make all it's fur fall off!!!!

Please don't try it on Me!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010428.jpg (63.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by pulsechoes; 16-06-12 at 11:53 AM.
pulsechoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-12, 12:00 PM   #14
gardnerman
Forum Supporter 2011

You can make a workable penetrating oil by mixing cellulose thinners with ATF. The key ingredients of any penetrating oil is a penetrant that gets into any gap, no matter how small, and then evaporates to leave behind a lubricant.

Martin.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Martin
Often wondered what I could make a good *penetrant* from that would actually work.
PS. never saw you at Carrington
*(apologies if this word doesn't exist)

Last edited by gardnerman; 16-06-12 at 12:02 PM.
gardnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-12, 10:14 PM   #15
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi Richard - I missed you at Carrington too... I got up on Sunday morning, opened one bleary eye, saw the weather, and went back to sleep! I did visit briefly in the afternoon, mostly to say "sorry" to the marshal for not turning up!

Martin.
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-12, 07:46 PM   #16
gardnerman
Forum Supporter 2011

Would have been nice to see you, however! I don't blame you for going back to sleep
gardnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13, 09:48 PM   #17
Richy_WD2
Forum Light User

At work we use one called 'PX-24' and its fantastic. Its available online made by Ambersil. I salvaged a Honda powered compressor from the sea floor and it got it unsiezed and running again.
Richy_WD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 11:07 PM   #18
wfb26

Default wd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_WD2 View Post
At work we use one called 'PX-24' and its fantastic. Its available online made by Ambersil. I salvaged a Honda powered compressor from the sea floor and it got it unsiezed and running again.
well I yous pocket rocket I find it the best and recommend it
wfb26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 09:58 AM   #19
Benzrestorer
Forum Light User

Some years ago, I restored an Edwardian car that came to me with a rusted up engine, it had no separate head. It hadn't turned for 60 years. I put about half an inch of Redex onto the top of each piston and left it with a jack under the starting handle with about 100 pounds of pressure ( judged by about the amount of lift I could apply to the handle with one arm). About 10 weeks later I noticed the handle had moved, the engine was free. The permanent pressure helps.
Benzrestorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 10:42 AM   #20
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Anyone remember a penetrating oil called 'Ease-it' or something like that. From distant memory I seem to remember it was dark in colour and smelled a bit like Germoline. Seemed to work OK when I was working on rusty old Mini cars!
I have a can of Rocol penetrating oil that smells a bit like that. I found it in the back of my cupboard in the shed where it had been for years. (When I retired it left with me) Seems to be really good stuff.