UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 06-06-12, 12:42 AM   #1
zakyboi

Default Preparation for rallys.

hi all,
could anybody tell me if i need anything like insurance for my engines before rallying? and how do i get my hands on an application for rallys, i can never find them?

many thanks.
Old 06-06-12, 09:06 AM   #2
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

You can get insurance through this website and its considerably cheaper than going direct.

As for applications, thats a case of googling the locations you want to rally at, or look in the calendar here and then go to the appropriate website. If there's no form download then you will have to call (email can take weeks to reply). Usually you send off 2 x SAE's. 1 for the application, one for next years rally.
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:10 AM   #3
derek_patterson
Forum Supporter 2013

Zak,

There is insurance for stationary engines and it is available for various places. I am a member of the NVTEC and for £13.50 I get a quaterly magazine and Public liability rally insurance (Click for details)

Walker Midgely also do insurance and some of my friends use it (Click for details)

It doesn't really matter who you are with the important thing is that you have it. It's always worth looking at the small print on the policies to see what you are and aren't covered for.

Derek

Last edited by derek_patterson; 06-06-12 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Ooops wrong price for NVTEC
derek_patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:21 AM   #4
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakyboi View Post
hi all,
could anybody tell me if i need anything like insurance for my engines before rallying? and how do i get my hands on an application for rallys, i can never find them?

many thanks.
You'll need to get your skates on! We are halfway through the season, and many events have closed their application lists by now.

I have one insurance card left if you want the Forum insurance, after that is used up I'll be closing the books for this year.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:37 AM   #5
derek_patterson
Forum Supporter 2013

Peter,

Do events in England only admit engines via application? Can you not turn up on the day?

Derek
derek_patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 09:42 AM   #6
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_patterson View Post
Peter,

Do events in England only admit engines via application? Can you not turn up on the day?

Derek
There used to be quite a few like that down in Cornwall, but they donít seen so common now?

Cheers Steve
Old 06-06-12, 09:49 AM   #7
mo3mini
Forum Supporter 2013

Don't forget to get there early Zak! Most shows ive been to shut the gate for exhibitors at 9-10 in the morning... if the gate is shut you wont have a chance of getting in. Last show I went to they shut the gate just behind us... loads of classic cars, lorries, engines etc just turned away for being there at 10.03am..

Dan
Old 06-06-12, 12:30 PM   #8
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Peter,

Derek
Very few allow unbooked entry Derek, though some smaller event's may, but I believe that both Ducklington and the 1000 engine will let you in on the day. It is mainly down to space allocation at rallies, a lot are very restricted for room and some have a waiting list for prospective entrant's that can take a few years to fullfill.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 01:04 PM   #9
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakyboi View Post
Zak

You've left it very late in the year to be starting to think about rallies. Most people get their applications in after Christmas, or as soon as they appear online. I would guess that it will be hard to get entry to any show in the next 3 months (except 1000 Engine).

First, you need to know how far you are prepared to travel. Since you are relying on your Dad (I expect) to move an engine, you need to know how far he will travel! Will you be staying over night? If not then you are looking for single day shows - longer shows don't like people who only come for one day (although it does happen).

Your local club is probably the best source of local rallies, but there is also Old Glory online, this forum's calendar, or even just hunting using Google. Some rallies publish an application form, but many (including some of the best) are by invitation - this means you write to the steward asking for an application, and explaining what you would like to bring; if you are lucky you will get an application.

When you fill in the application describe what you will be displaying, then make sure you take what you entered; stewards hate people who don't bring what they entered. You will almost certainly have to supply a photocopy of your insurance, so "yes"; you do require insurance.

Don't give up - there are probably shows local to you that will still accept applications this year.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 02:14 PM   #10
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Peter,

Derek
I think the others have answered the question, Derek, I don't know of any that will just allow you to roll up on an ad-hoc basis in the UK.

This is for many reasons, programme printing, space allocation, car parking and so on.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote