UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 04-05-12, 05:10 PM   #11
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

The only time I have ran a bare engine was when I was running 2 engines and had no room on the trailer for anything else.

I have always had something running, ideally where flatbelts are concerned.

My two (longterm) projects are:-

get a length of rail track which I can slice into slithers with the power hacksaw and then stamp kids names on them as a handout and

get a reducing gearbox and other bits and bobs with the intention of my 3hp bamford running a selection of mamod toys having geared them down a fair bit. I have a small lineshaft with a clutch / handle which I would extend to the rope for people to start / stop.

Needless to say I like the quirky side of showing things, but until I do then its waterpumps.

As for signs, I print off a couple sheets of card with the relevant information and clip them to a backboard (think oblong with a long triangle at the bottom). Usually they last a day in the rain then I replace them next day.

I don't have a plaque board but plan to once I have enough to fill a board so that it looks like I have done a few rallys!!

terry
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 05:55 PM   #12
novo

I've been thinking about a foot control to start /stop my cutaway section villiers mk 40. Hav'nt done anything about it yet though. Terry's post brought it back to mind. Interactive displays---mmm do it safe though. If someone can hurt themselves on it you can guarantee they will. (sods law No 3)
Old 04-05-12, 06:28 PM   #13
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
Terry's post brought it back to mind. Interactive displays---mmm do it safe though. If someone can hurt themselves on it you can guarantee they will. (sods law No 3)
Hence the word 'extend'. All the moving stuff will be away with just a handle linkage near the rope. Good point though.
Tezfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 06:38 PM   #14
steve-v12
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezfair View Post
The only time I have ran a bare engine was when I was running 2 engines and had no room on the trailer for anything else.

I have always had something running, ideally where flatbelts are concerned.

My two (longterm) projects are:-

get a length of rail track which I can slice into slithers with the power hacksaw and then stamp kids names on them as a handout and

get a reducing gearbox and other bits and bobs with the intention of my 3hp bamford running a selection of mamod toys having geared them down a fair bit. I have a small lineshaft with a clutch / handle which I would extend to the rope for people to start / stop.

Needless to say I like the quirky side of showing things, but until I do then its waterpumps.

As for signs, I print off a couple sheets of card with the relevant information and clip them to a backboard (think oblong with a long triangle at the bottom). Usually they last a day in the rain then I replace them next day.

I don't have a plaque board but plan to once I have enough to fill a board so that it looks like I have done a few rallys!!

terry
I've been cutting up lengths of rail track, both full size and narrow gauge, for a couple of years with my mechanical hacksaw and my daughters files the edges smoth and gives them to the watching children.
Steve :)
steve-v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 07:00 PM   #15
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-v12 View Post
I've been cutting up lengths of rail track, both full size and narrow gauge, for a couple of years with my mechanical hacksaw and my daughters files the edges smoth and gives them to the watching children.
Steve :)
They make nice little momento's for them to take home. Kids love a free gift. I like the look of them myself.
Old 04-05-12, 08:00 PM   #16
jules 2009

An engine working hard makes a much better noise in my opinion ,much better than just freewheeling all day long getting all carboned up, after all they were made to be put to work not just to look at.
jules 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 10:33 PM   #17
Kevbuts

I have something to add on this subject about making the best of your exhibit / engine.

If you've got an engine to exhibit it will look it's best when mounted on a trolley that does it justice. Time and time again I see lovely engines (not necessarily expensive ones either) that are let down by a trolley that has been thrown together without any care for what it looks like.

Whether your engine is restored or unrestored, it will look much more presentable if it is mounted on a decent trolley that is inkeeping with the engines age. Original engine trolley's are exempt from this, as I can fully understand people not wanting to change them. But if you're making a new trolley for an engine, take a little care and time over it to make sure it does your engine justice.

Maybe I am alone on this one, but it's just my personal opinion
Old 04-05-12, 10:40 PM   #18
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

When I show my engines, if possible I make sure they are driving something interesting and there is not too much clutter around them, mabey the odd oil can at most.

My display boards are laminated A4 mounted on wooden boards, some of which have a few plaques on as well.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 12:45 AM   #19
zakyboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by novo View Post
I A neighbour of mine (a lady) went to her first local rally last year.She said "A load of stern faced old men sitting behind engines; Whats that all about". We cant do much about the old bit,
just thought i'd make a comment as to this bit, i think we need more younger people getting interested, im 14 now, i don't know anybody else in my area around my age thats into stationary engines, actually they all just play on the xbox, and whenever i tried to get my friends into it they just give me that odd look and say '' what the f*ck Zak''... so not much hope round my way for more younger people getting interested, just hope there are more people out there my age that love this wonderful hobby!!!
i'll stop rambling now :tongue:

Last edited by zakyboi; 08-08-12 at 12:49 AM.
zakyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 09:13 AM   #20
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakyboi View Post
just thought i'd make a comment as to this bit, i think we need more younger people getting interested, im 14 now, i don't know anybody else in my area around my age thats into stationary engines, actually they all just play on the xbox, and whenever i tried to get my friends into it they just give me that odd look and say '' what the f*ck Zak''... so not much hope round my way for more younger people getting interested, just hope there are more people out there my age that love this wonderful hobby!!!
i'll stop rambling now :tongue:
When I started in the mid 1970's, probably at about the age you are now, I got much the same reaction from school friends. But I was fortunate that as a vintage vehicle enthusiast, my dad at least understood and indeed got me my first engine (a siezed Petter M) as a Christmas present.

NHH

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote