UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Rally Hints & Tips

Old 03-05-12, 01:51 PM   #1
novo

Default Make the best of your exhibit.

I feel a bit unsure of this but i would like to say to exhibitors, please make the most of your exhibit. A rare & interesting engine running on it's own may be of little interest to the paying public. Information sheets are often missing & a "non engine person" will walk straight by. An engine running an implement of some sort with as much information as possible, will create more interest. It's not just newcomers to our hobby that are guilty of this. A neighbour of mine (a lady) went to her first local rally last year.She said "A load of stern faced old men sitting behind engines; Whats that all about". We cant do much about the old bit, but lets make it more visitor freindly. It's our hobby's future.---This was posted on the rally hints & tips section.--It was empty. Lets have some tips for the new members chaps.(I'll shut up now)

Last edited by novo; 03-05-12 at 01:56 PM.
novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 02:07 PM   #2
Water skier 16

As a new member (to the forum and the hobby) information on how to present exibits would help me alot.
Cheers James
Water skier 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 03:50 PM   #3
jay
Forum Supporter 2011

well picture frames are only 2 for just under A4 size or 3 for A4 size frames ideal for putting a printed info sheet in even if the sheet only last 1 wet rally its easy to print another one off for next rally,makes reading info even easier if you buy a old music stand(ebay for a few )I bought my multi coloured stand for 3.55picture frame sits on that at waist height but does need a few tent pegs to stop it falling over in the wind..
keep all your junk spanners cans etc in your car/van/trailor or behind a windbreak,I have seen a wooden windbreak at a rally which was placed behind there engine which was a good idea.(was 3 foot high)
Old 03-05-12, 04:44 PM   #4
sidevalve

Smile

A4 sheets can be laminated which will keep the rain off but also I've noticed, keep the info short and to the point with big easy to read print. By all means add the background details as well if you want, but put them seperately on another sheet [s] for any one to look at [or be shown] if they are interested. Many people will be interested in it's size, when it was made and what it did eg pumped fuel for spitfires in 1942 or whatever but not the whole history of the company and faced with a text book size pile of info will just move on.
Finally whatever your engine it needs something to do [well, ok some of the old large open cranks might get away with it on their own]. It doesn't matter what to the average visitor, they're just there for a nice day out. It's good to get something appropriate but really anything will do, after all it's the engine that's on show. Anyhow just a few thoughts.
sidevalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 05:12 PM   #5
Grendel
Forum Supporter 2012

Free beer will probably do the trick
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 05:14 PM   #6
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Free beer will probably do the trick
I might come to one of your rallies.
Old 03-05-12, 06:02 PM   #7
steve-v12
Forum Supporter 2011

And if someone shows a particular interest in your exhibit then get up and go talk to them, you'll be amazed at the conversations you will have !
Steve :)
steve-v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 08:12 PM   #8
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-v12 View Post
And if someone shows a particular interest in your exhibit then get up and go talk to them, you'll be amazed at the conversations you will have !
Youre absolutely right Steve, I've had conversations with some lovely people at rallies. It's quite productive sometimes too. I was speaking to a chap at a rally recently, he was interested in my millars sludge pump. I was explaining that the pump arms had been broken & i had fabricated new ones. He told me that he had worked for millars in the past & told me why they were probably broken. Apparently they get a build up of sand under the diaphram & when this gets too much it breaks the arms. (Its as well to know)
Old 04-05-12, 01:49 PM   #9
jay
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-v12 View Post
and the offers of engines sometimes for free..
Old 04-05-12, 01:56 PM   #10
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
and the offers of engines sometimes for free..
Better still!!! It happened to me at a show last year. A nice couple gave me a cultivator.