UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 26-04-11, 07:27 PM   #11
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

No! There are chillies in there, but mostly it's being used to store materials for the 3 building projects - it's worth its keep just doing that.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-11, 07:28 PM   #12
Colin J

I agree I could not do without mine. It's a god-send I even use it for drying wood turning blanks
Old 06-05-11, 07:11 PM   #13
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Progress on this may be slower than the workshop, but I managed to get an hour this evening.

I have fitted most of the 4 x 2 tannalised wall plates over the s/s studs; not quite finished because I ran out of DPC (blast!), and it looks like it may rain for the rest of the weekend.

Now the concrete and mortar is good and hard I should be able to get on - once the wall plates are completed I can start on the wall frames. I intend to make them flat, and then erect them on the plates.

The central steelwork has been tasked with my Blacksmith, but he's not quick - I've no idea when I shall see that, and I can't start going vertical until the steel is in place.

Martin.
Old 17-05-11, 09:17 PM   #14
ransomesmg6
Forum Light User

Looks like it going to be a very nice shed Martin, keep up the good work!
ransomesmg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-11, 10:14 PM   #15
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Thanks; the walls now have complete plates, but there's little other visible progress. The design for the wood construction is complete, and the cutting list has gone to my chippie; he's going to size all the timber on his big machines, so that I get a "meccano kit" of wood to build the walls and roof.
The design for the steelwork is complete, and my blacksmith friend is expecting the steel delivery tomorrow. The current steel price is a killer, but it isn't going to go down if I wait!
I shall be pleased when the framework is in place - I'm not going to worry about the rest of it until then.

Martin.
Old 18-05-11, 07:57 AM   #16
gvinrad
Forum Supporter 2013

Cool Price of steel

Yeah I know what you mean about the price of steel Martin, I bought some hex and round bar about a year ago and got a fantastically cheap price that I was more than happy with. Went to order some more the other day from the same supplier only to find that the price has gone up by just over 300%, ouch !.

Cheers, Gerry.
Old 29-05-11, 11:01 PM   #17
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I've started the steelwork. This is the main beam that will pass down the centre of the shed at the apex. The roof will be supported by it, as will the chain hoist. It is 4" wide x 12" deep. It may seem like overkill, but it's actually lighter than a more suitable 4" x 8" beam. This stuff is only 27Kg per metre, or 190Kg total.

Next I have to drill holes for the steel plates to be bolted to the beam, then the plates will be welded on the top of the columns.

Martin.
Old 29-05-11, 11:23 PM   #18
matt86
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
I've started the steelwork. This is the main beam that will pass down the centre of the shed at the apex. The roof will be supported by it, as will the chain hoist. It is 4" wide x 12" deep. It may seem like overkill, but it's actually lighter than a more suitable 4" x 8" beam. This stuff is only 27Kg per metre, or 190Kg total.

Next I have to drill holes for the steel plates to be bolted to the beam, then the plates will be welded on the top of the columns.

Martin.
Rather you than me martin ... thats some thick steel there
matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-11, 07:59 AM   #19
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

You're right - if you say 190Kgs it doesn't sound too bad, but the reality is; it's got to be fitted 9 feet up on top of the columns. I'm hoping to get a friend with a tractor to come in and lift it when we're ready to assemble and fit the gantry.

Martin.
Old 30-05-11, 09:29 AM   #20
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

That's a serious bit of Girder!

It took four of us to manhandle the trailer sides, and they were only 140kg, albeit a bit bulky, so 190kg needs some mechanical assistance.

Good to get the best size you can accommodate, awfully difficult to change one the building is erected

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote