UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies Picture Gallery

Old 04-07-12, 05:00 PM   #11
benz engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
I think you're both missing the point.

If you can't post a 'decent' image, then don't do it.

It isn't rocket science, my 1.2mp Sony Mavica takes decent images, but not all camera phones have the same lens quality or my operator skill/experience.

Anyone can look at an image and tell if it is good or not.

Peter
Peter basically what your saying is if you don't have a camera with all the bells and whistles or have a Phd in photography don't bother, well that certinally sends out all the correct signals to everyone, also if you have plenty of time to delete the necessary photos which are not up to YOUR standards that says about all that has to be said on thi issue.
When I did the resteration on my Angus engine I was glad to receive the photos that I did as it enabled me to comlete the job, also the first picture that I got was one that had been photocopied god knows how many times from a magazine but I didn't dump it or chastise the person who sent it to me because the quallity was not good enough..
Craig
benz engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 09:44 PM   #12
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Craig:

That is NOT what I said.

Please don't put your interpretation on what I wrote.

You will understand that 1.2mp is about the lowest resolution of any camera on the market, in fact you probably couldn't buy a camera that bad now. If I can get decent images out of that, then I am saying that it SHOULD be possible to get decent images out of cameras with two, three or more times that resolution.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 10:15 PM   #13
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

Crap quality videos with crap graphics and crap sound arent worth watching, so dont post them, not being funny, but I find it really annoying looking through youtube and finding a video to find it is really bad quality....
Old 04-07-12, 11:15 PM   #14
chyangwel
Forum Supporter 2013

Hi all

When I was well into photography I had cameras and lenses that cost thousands of pounds and have been beaten in photography competitions with a standard point and shoot camera. Most modern day cameras are capable of taking pretty good pictures. Everyone always bangs on about the amount of megapixels, well I will tell you this, it has very little to do with the picture quality unless you are going to print your pictures to a large size or need to crop deeply into them. Picture quality is all do to with the size of the camera sensor and it’s image processing software.

Camera sensor sizes

Most point and shoot cameras have the 1/2.3” sensor about the size of your thumb nail. A mid range SLR will have a APS-C size sensor and your top of the range SLR will have a full frame sensor the same size as the old 35mm slides. So it’s the sensor size and pixel density that control picture quality.

Some tips for taking photos

Frame the picture you want don’t crop into them later.

Get down to your subject bend those knees. You see so many people taking photos of engines standing up.

Hold the camera steady and press the shutter button halfway, to allow the camera to focus and lock the exposure. Then follow it through to take the picture.

Try and avoid taking pictures into the sunlight, or with a light source behind them. If it’s unavoidable use the flash.

If using a zoom lens, always have a shutter speed faster than the set focal length being used. So if you have a zoom lens set to 100mm you need a shutter speed of 100th second or faster if using a 150mm you will need a shutter speed of 150th second or faster.

Before pressing the shutter scan the view finder your eye will automatically concentrate on the centre of the subject. Scan the view finder all-round from corner to corner to see what else you are going to get in your photo.

On the subject of crappy pictures I have entered and judged many photography competitions and seen loads of so called crappy pictures believe me. But you must remember this, the crappy picture is not crappy in the eyes of the person who took it. This is the sticky ground, what one person thinks is a good picture someone else may think is crappy or vice versa.

Cheers Ross

Last edited by chyangwel; 05-07-12 at 08:54 AM.
chyangwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 05:21 PM   #15
Robotstar5

Default Image size?

I have quite a few photo's taken at various events and am quite happy to share them. What is the best image size to upload as I know it uses up server space, I tend to resize to 800 x 600 for forums is that OK here?.
Old 07-06-17, 05:43 PM   #16
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I post 1024 X 768.

Peter
Old 07-06-17, 05:52 PM   #17
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
I post 1024 X 768.

Peter
Thanks, I'll sort a few out to post.
Old 07-06-17, 05:58 PM   #18
Lister M

I recently changed my camera from a 9 mega pixel to an 18 so when I load pictures direct to the forum I have to resize them to a third otherwise I get rejected because of size.

Martin P
Old 07-06-17, 06:05 PM   #19
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

My old Mavica 1.2mp still produces good pictures, and very good macro close-ups.

Using one of my two Sony DSC-F717 out here, 5mp.

Peter
Old 07-06-17, 06:34 PM   #20
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

All of my pictures are taken with my Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm not sure how many mega pixels it is but I think it does take an reasonable photo.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote