UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies Picture Gallery

Old 13-01-11, 07:46 PM   #1
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Default Read This First!

Please do NOT post cr*ppy phone camera pictures, let's have some decent sharp images.

ALL posts, threads and attachments will be moderated and edited ruthlessly!

You have been warned

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-11, 03:03 PM   #2
Statman

Hi Peter!

Great idea for this section it will be used well!

Although some people on here can only afford "crappy camera phones"

But some phones take better pictures than others also most of them are 2.1mp + rated now and upwards so in daytime they can take a decent picture!

Just my thoughts

Thanks
Adam
Old 15-01-11, 06:39 PM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Adam:

Yes indeed, but if you read what I said, it could be taken the wrong way.

Cr*ppy pictures of 'any' kind are not wanted, how is that?

My Nokia is 2mp and doesn't take a bad picture, but I rarely use it.

Peter
Old 16-01-11, 10:32 AM   #4
Coal Miner
Forum Supporter 2011

As an aside; I am surprised at the poor quality of a few pictures which are published in national magazines, I would have thought that the Editors would have been more discerning (although I appreciate that in some cases it may be the only available picture of something important).
Barry.
Coal Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 12:08 AM   #5
pulsechoes

I have a Hitachi camera (10 Mp) which takes superb pictures and cost about 60 from Argos 2 years ago. I also have an LG "Shine" (2Mp) mobile which takes "Cr*p" pictures and cost 100 from "T-Mobile" 2 years ago so I'm not sure that money should come into the equation!
Old 03-07-12, 01:40 PM   #6
smenkhare
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Please do NOT post cr*ppy phone camera pictures, let's have some decent sharp images.

ALL posts, threads and attachments will be moderated and edited ruthlessly!

You have been warned

Peter
I am quite offended by this, Peter. I have several video cameras but my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray phone takes better quality than all of them. When my videos are Crappy, it is usually my fault and not that of the phone camera.
Like every body, I do my best but I'm not a professional.
Jim.
1957 Lister D, 1951 Stuart Turner R3C with S-T water pump, 1951 Villiers Mk 10 with Alcon pump, Alco Featherweight. 1920(?) Stuart W2. ca.1936 Amanco WC Chore Boy, Sachs KM37 Wankel engine(1972?), Bernard W0, 1938/39, Bernard W2, 1932. Bernard D1
smenkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 05:23 PM   #7
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
I am quite offended by this, Peter. I have several video cameras but my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray phone takes better quality than all of them. When my videos are Crappy, it is usually my fault and not that of the phone camera.

Like every body, I do my best but I'm not a professional.
Jim.
I don't see anything about 'your' camera, Jim, and as far as I know, none of us here are professionals either.

What I said still goes, cr*ppy phone camera pictures will be deleted.

Peter
Old 03-07-12, 06:21 PM   #8
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Seems a bit harsh, take electrocutas' vids of the '1000' for instance http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...d.php?p=230943 - not exactly 'high definition' granted, but there is getting on for an hour and a half's material there giving a really good round-up for those of us who coudn't be there and no doubt a good reminder for those that were. I wouldn't have missed it for quids and applaud the effort that went into producing and uploading it.

There was an analogous argument on the old usenet group years ago regarding pictures posted without captions - the upshot was that we all do this as a hobby and you either accept what is offered or the poster won't bother next time.

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 04-07-12 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fix link
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 08:19 PM   #9
smenkhare
Forum Supporter 2011

OK, Peter, I see that I didn't make my point correctly, Let's try again:
As an Egyptologist, I frequently look at rock carvings, some of which are (by the standards of 3000 BC) beautifully executed and some (by the same standards) are decidedly "Crappy". I pay as much attention to the Crappy ones as I do to the beautiful ones, because all of these carvings tell me something about the people and civilation of 3000BC. If someone had removed any of these carvings because "they were crappy"), I would be the loser. The same applies to pictures of engines. When I was identiying my Stuart W2, I had to look at as many pictures as I could to know where everything went and how it went. Some of the most useful pictures were most definitely "crappy" but, without them, I don't think I could have my motor. In addition, what harm do the "crappy" pictures do? We can just skip over them if we don't like them.
1957 Lister D, 1951 Stuart Turner R3C with S-T water pump, 1951 Villiers Mk 10 with Alcon pump, Alco Featherweight. 1920(?) Stuart W2. ca.1936 Amanco WC Chore Boy, Sachs KM37 Wankel engine(1972?), Bernard W0, 1938/39, Bernard W2, 1932. Bernard D1
smenkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 03:43 PM   #10
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I think you're both missing the point.

Regardless of what an image is captured on, it takes the same amount of storage space and the same bandwidth to view.

If you can't post a 'decent' image, then don't do it.

It isn't rocket science, my 1.2mp Sony Mavica takes decent images, but not all camera phones have the same lens quality or my operator skill/experience.

Anyone can look at an image and tell if it is good or not.

Peter