UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 18-01-13, 09:56 PM   #21
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Sorry Pete, just being over-sensitive; it has come to my attention that some on here feel that I am guilty of filling the forum with facebook style c**p (I have never been on facebook or any othe social networking site in my life). I have therefore consciously tried to cut down on the banter - particularly the 'Nick and Steve show'.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 10:42 PM   #22
Appletop

But we enjoy the nick and steve show.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-13, 10:42 PM   #23
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
the 'Nick and Steve show'.

NHH
Keeps us happy.

Cheers Steve
Old 18-01-13, 11:07 PM   #24
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Sorry Pete, just being over-sensitive; it has come to my attention that some on here feel that I am guilty of filling the forum with facebook style c**p (I have never been on facebook or any othe social networking site in my life). I have therefore consciously tried to cut down on the banter - particularly the 'Nick and Steve show'.

NHH
I like you posts, keeps me entertained!

As for petrol tank, get some of that new fangled "green" degreaser that is water based and bloody useless. I think you mix one part to seven parts water. Use warm water, pour it in until nearly full, then over the next few hours every fifteen minutes of so give it a shake, might help to chuck some nuts in there too but i never do. This degreaser works really well if it has time to soak. Then you tip it out and can blast it with the hose, i have had great success and found it very cheap too being water is your main ingredient. Just once clean need to dry it properly and then spray with wd40 or similar or will start to rust as the degreaser is very alkaline.
Old 19-01-13, 12:10 PM   #25
novo

Evaporated petrol leaves a "varnish" like residue that can seem almost impossible to shift. I have found that as Steve says, boiling water but i use dishwasher liquid instead of fairy liquid. (although its not so kind to your hands) For really stubborn varnish i use Loctite Chisel gasket remover. (The name has now changed & i cant remember the new one. No doubt someone will enlighten us---please) is good to shift it. Not much good for tanks though.
Old 19-01-13, 12:25 PM   #26
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Cheers for the ideas guys, the tank is brass, so not worried about it rusting....

Cheers Steve
Old 19-01-13, 03:33 PM   #27
Combustor

Default Tank cleaning.

Probably posted this somewhere before, but my method is to let the dog off the chain, throw the CHAIN in the tank, along with a bit of kero or similar, and shake, rattle and roll! Much easier to remove than gravel, screws etc..
Combustor.
Old 20-01-13, 05:38 PM   #28
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Well thanks for the help guys, washing detergent and boiling water sorted it, after a load of screws and white spirits. It's looking a lot better.

Cheers Steve
Old 20-01-13, 05:50 PM   #29
RobSmith
Forum Supporter 2013

I have not tried it in a petrol tank but my sons have a couple of guinea pigs. I am not going to suggest you pop them in the tank ...... When their drink bottle freezes up I can shake the ice around until it makes a slush inside and use that as an 'abrasive' to remove the green that grows in their bottle. It might work in a fuel tank and the 'abrasive' would melt without leaving a damaging abrasive residue.

Rob
RobSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-13, 07:59 PM   #30
75BREDHILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
I have not tried it in a petrol tank but my sons have a couple of guinea pigs. I am not going to suggest you pop them in the tank ...... When their drink bottle freezes up I can shake the ice around until it makes a slush inside and use that as an 'abrasive' to remove the green that grows in their bottle. It might work in a fuel tank and the 'abrasive' would melt without leaving a damaging abrasive residue.

Rob
a guinea pig would probably clean a takn well or a hamptser,gerbil.
alex