UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 12-08-12, 08:32 PM   #21
oldchadders
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
That's exactly how I do it.
I do think that tapping to the next size is much stronger than using one of these helicoil jobs.

Cheers,

Hubert
A correctly fitted Helicoil (or similar) is said to be stronger than the original thread. I have used them many times, particularly in aluminium cylinder heads to strengthen manifold fixings.
Old 12-08-12, 09:17 PM   #22
Grendel
Forum Supporter 2012

Right, "said to be,....."

I have used them as well and because they are steel, they are much stronger than aluminium, but I am convinced that they rip out sooner than if you had gone one size bigger.
I don't like them at all, but they can be used without trouble for not too demanding applications.

Cheers,

Hubert
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-12, 09:38 PM   #23
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Right, "said to be,....."

I have used them as well and because they are steel, they are much stronger than aluminium, but I am convinced that they rip out sooner than if you had gone one size bigger.
I don't like them at all, but they can be used without trouble for not too demanding applications.

Cheers,

Hubert
Wrong!

Helicoils are (if inserted correctly) invariably stronger than the host material. For this reason they are always specified for female threads in the aviation industry where a failed thread could lead to something drastic - not just in alloy but also in some quite exotic materials that are quite capable of holding a thread themselves. They have the added benefit that if a thread is spoiled the insert can be replaced.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 05:49 PM   #24
Coal Miner
Forum Supporter 2011

On my current restoration project I had the misfortune to shear off three out of four studs (I couldn't beleive that I was so unlucky!). I looked at Easy Outs; surprisingly I could buy a set of five for 1.59p. Hardly a quality engineered item! So they were rejected and the problem was solved by welding nuts onto the studs and then heating around the stud with oxy-acetylene. Eventually they all came out, but the secret is plenty of heat.
Barry.
Coal Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-12, 10:23 PM   #25
boingy

You have just reminded me of an old engineering definition of screw extractors:

"Screw extractors: A tool which allows the discerning engineer to replace a relatively soft broken screw with a short length of the hardest material known to man."

I tend to centre punch very carefully then drill with ever increasing RH drills until I just start to break through one edge (because you are never quite in the centre). I like the LH drill idea though.

As for helicoils, I've never used them but I know others who swear by them. They always seem scarily expensive for what they are.
Old 14-08-12, 08:25 AM   #26
Pugdud
Forum Supporter 2013

I agree with Barry's method, its only useful though if you have some potruding bolt to weld onto.
To judge where the exact centre is, when centre punching the bolt, is difficult because the thread pattern guides you off centre all the time. Careful positioning of the early drill hole is the most important part of the operation. After that its plain sailing.
Tony.
Pugdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 07:31 PM   #27
110samec

Machine marts got a set of extractors for around 12 if I remember correctly.
Old 22-08-12, 08:59 AM   #28
Coal Miner
Forum Supporter 2011

But this is my point 110samec:- If I am going to use an extractor I would like it to be well engineered and made out of the best quality steel known to man so that it doesn't break when I start to lever on it with a length of scaffold pole! Therefore I would expect to pay more than 12 each rather than for a set. What do others think?
Barry.
Coal Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-12, 09:16 AM   #29
110samec

I see what you mean. I've ordered a set anyway as I need to use one on an allen bolt thats solid so when they arrive I'll tell you if they work (or not)
Old 22-08-12, 05:30 PM   #30
Pugdud
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
But this is my point 110samec:- If I am going to use an extractor I would like it to be well engineered and made out of the best quality steel known to man so that it doesn't break when I start to lever on it with a length of scaffold pole! Therefore I would expect to pay more than 12 each rather than for a set. What do others think?
Barry.
Well I think that I never managed to get a stuck bolt out with any type of easyout, during the whole of my engineering life, incidently I never broke an easyout either, - though I did soon give it up as a bad idea. It will be interesting to hear the result - I hope its good.
For the City and Guilds one year, I think it was 1962, the examiner tightened a bolt into a test piece and broke it off flush. Neither the students or the examiner could remove it, the test was deemed impossible and none were marked down for it.
Tony.
Pugdud is offline   Reply With Quote