UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 10-05-10, 08:49 PM   #1
mrlister

Default Wick Oiler

I have a Lister D, wick req's replacing as has been fitted with a pipe cleaner. What is the best thing to replace it with.

Regards Davy
Old 11-05-10, 07:24 AM   #2
sidecrank
Forum Supporter 2013

The original material was wool worsted.That is straightened wool to you and me.Pipe cleaners work as well,indeed I have bought new old stock oilers with pipe cleaners fitted as original. Does a D have a wick oiler? John
sidecrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 07:39 AM   #3
Mowersman
Forum Supporter 2012

the govener
Old 04-06-10, 03:03 PM   #4
gvinrad
Forum Supporter 2013

Cool Oiler

Hi Guy's,

I didn't know about this either, clearly I have a lot to learn about my newly acquired D. Perhaps I need to get an operators manual from somewhere.

Cheers, Gerry.

Last edited by gvinrad; 06-06-10 at 04:43 PM.
gvinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 08:11 PM   #5
Stevengine

Many people seem to use pipe cleaners as oiler wicks, but this is not the best way. The original wicks for both stationary engines & steam engines were made out of straight strands of material - one of which was a kind of soft string known as tailors Cotton. (Natural NOT nylon) Pipe cleaners are made out of loose material which is just bound together without a grain & has nothing like the same effect. One thing i've tried before which works is the material which makes the wicks on the small paraffin lamps, fluid is absorbed through it quite quickly & i used some on my Bentall Pioneer a few years ago with good results.

Last edited by Stevengine; 04-06-10 at 08:18 PM.
Stevengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 06:17 PM   #6
stover600
Forum Supporter 2011

I find that if you bind wool or fast syphoning material with fine fuse wire you can control the syphoning effect by how tight you bind the wire around the material, also it make it better for inserting in the hole, no rude comments please !!
Andy
stover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 05:12 PM   #7
Lister M

Gentlemen,

I use good old fashion string which works well.

Martin P
Lister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 08:30 PM   #8
steve-v12
Forum Supporter 2011

I just put a drop or two of oil down the hole every hour or so while its running.
Steve.
steve-v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 10:36 PM   #9
zakyboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvinrad View Post
Hi Guy's,

I didn't know about this either, clearly I have a lot to learn about my newly acquired D. Perhaps I need to get an operators manual from somewhere.

Cheers, Gerry.
yes old thread i know but i found it on google when i was looking how to make a wick, they are downloadable from internal fire museum of power, i got 3 manuals from there! good quaility!
Old 11-11-11, 06:33 PM   #10
Stevengine

Default Wick oilers

The wire used should also be made from copper not steel so when the wick is in place if it rubs against the moving parts it can't cause any damage.

I work part time as a volunteer on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in the workshop at Haworth where a large number of our engines are fitted with oiling wicks.
We have an original chart dating back to the old steam days hanging on the wall at Haworth in the canteen showing the various designs made & how to construct the wicks correctly - I'll get a picture next week.
There were also some details in an issue of the "Stationary Engine" magazine many years ago but I couldn't find that issue I'm afraid - got every issue back to May 1985 so didn't quite know where to start & look!!

Steve.
Stevengine is offline   Reply With Quote