UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 30-01-17, 10:00 PM   #11
slb10420seac

Mine isn't quite as bad but does have wear on both parts. It wouldn't be right not to do it too. Can you let me know who did yours please? Thanks, Steve
slb10420seac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-17, 10:16 AM   #12
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

I use a company called cotterell engineering ,01246 250459 there at clay cross in Derbyshire .they are very good but expect a 2 month wait as there always very busy my pin cost over 200 with all the other work required plus vat
petter m 3hp. mk1.bamford ev1.bernard 8hp. .swan 6.5hp. douglas ft35. bamford sd3. moteur bernard w1, bernard w2,bernard w3,2 bernard wos. bernard d1.bernard k1.bernard b2.bernard c3.bernard d1..ihc m 3hp lister l 1925,listerl l1929,listerlh1935,,baker monitor 1934,lister j 1915,,moteurs deville 1929,bernard k2,bernard d2,crossley 1030,crossley compressor engine 1040,1934 petter S,1929 crossley vo6,motour unie, lister cs 5/1 1953,bernard w13 1949,bernard R2 1926
oliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-17, 11:10 AM   #13
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi Steve

I'm having trouble believing that Petter sent the engine out with the flywheel hanging off the end of the crank; but then - who knows...?

Have you checked the state of the piston in the cylinder? Unfortunately Petter 2-strokes tend to wear everything at a steady rate, so generally if the gudgeon pin is worn, the rod small end will be, the pin bosses in the piston will also be, as will the piston and cylinder, the big end bush and the crank pin!

To cure the top end, the best solution is definitely a new pin, which should be made over-size, so that the new small end bush can be made to fit and the piston pin bosses can be reamed over-size to fit.

Since you are already bored over-size, the best solution to a worn bore would be to bore and sleeve to standard size, with the piston reduced to fit, and new standard rings.

The bottom end is cured by a set of new under-size shells and a reground crank pin.

I had to do all of this lot, plus new main bearings for my poor tired Appletop!

Good Luck - the "S" is a great engine.

MP

Edit: ...or as Roland has just reminded me, if you are sleeving back to standard size, the logical thing would be to source a standard piston, and retain the precious over-size item for the next project!
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-17, 09:07 PM   #14
slb10420seac

Hi Martin,

My engine started out with the pressur actuated lubricator system before they moved over to the mechanical Madison Kipp. As an oversize piston plus the Madison was supplied by the factory in 1928 I assume the original rubbish system had failed resulting in a damaged bore etc. The spares were supplied to an engineer who I assume painted it in red oxide and did the upgrades and repairs at the same time. I assume the original crank was not designed to include the addition of the mechanical lubricator eccentric so is now effectively too short. Roland has said the eccentric is misfitted as the greaser should be at the top, but I tried moving it and it won't fit correctly as there isn't enough room between the flywheel and bearing housing. I assume the engineer deliberately fitted it this way to allow as much of the flywheel to sit on the crank as possible.

All the bearings are good apart from the little end so maybe they were all replaced in 1928. The lubricator suffered it's own failure at some point which is when I suspect the engine finished it's working life, but it left an engine in good shape other than the little end. The piston rings were only no good because they were open to the elements and pitted where next to the exhaust port. The engine hasn't run for a very long time .

If you know where an original pressure lubricator might be lurking I'd be interested in trying to convert it back but I think that's very unlikely and it would require a different mounting plate too at the very least. Regards, Steve.

Last edited by slb10420seac; 31-01-17 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I should have said pressure actuated lubricator not vacuum
Old 10-02-18, 11:01 AM   #15
slb10420seac

She runs! It's taken a long time but yesterday my son and I spent teacher training day getting her running. The fuel pump timing had to be seriously advanced to get it to fire more than once so when she did go the garage was filled with smoke and oil. There is a big black patch on the ceiling boarding to commemorate it. A load of diesel was present in the exhaust afterwards which couldn't have helped so with a few more adjustments her first show will be at Stoke Row on the 10th June.

Since my last post I've made a trolley to the original spec with re-cast wheels but have used a smaller water tank for now until I find a better one. Mechanically she sounds great apart from some wear on the fuel pump roller and linkages. Unfortunately I can't seem to load photos at the moment due a "missing token" but I've kept the engine all original other than a crankshaft extension which was required due to the 1928 addition of the mechanical lubricator. I'm still not sure about the colour but it looks to have been originally red on the cylinder with the 1928 parts green so I expect it will bring some discussion at the rallies. Steve.
Old 10-02-18, 03:59 PM   #16
Lister M

Steve ignore the missing token warning and reduce the size of your pictures and it will then load up

Martin P
Old 10-02-18, 05:34 PM   #17
slb10420seac

I managed to re-size some photos from a few weeks ago before the tanks were fitted. After talking with a friend I realise some of the fuel pump noises are because a spring which holds the roller onto the cam is missing so hopefully a simpler fix than I thought. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (60.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (49.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (54.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-02-18, 04:07 PM   #18
slb10420seac

I started looking into the clattery pump assembly and noticed the pin the roller runs on had moved inwards significantly so the roller wasn't contacting the cam properly. I had previously resisted removing the pump assembly due to an old repair which was in the way of removing a mounting bolt. I removed the home made plate and bit of packing but couldn't remove the assembly without moving the flywheel off a couple of inches. Once removed I could see the roller pin is missing a grub screw to hold it in place. You can see in the photos where the grub screw should be, the hole for the missing spring on the roller arm, and the two home made repairs due to a crack across the hole for the pump arm. It has mainly green paint apart from a touch on the pump arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3944.jpg (81.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3954.jpg (113.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG3953.jpg (95.9 KB, 17 views)